macbook late 2006 heat issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by firelighter487, Jan 13, 2016.

1. firelighter487 macrumors member

firelighter487

hi everyone,

i've got a weird issue with my macbook. i'm using smcfancontrol on it to keep it cool, but when i've got the fans at about 4000 rpm and i open a intensive application (google chrome, spotify), it becomes hot really fast. i've seen it go from 38 to 47 degrees in a couple of seconds. it eventually levels out at about 55/60 degrees, but that is pretty hot when i'm just using google chrome. but if i rev the fan up to 6200 rpm, it stays cool, but then it's loud. i would like to hear your suggestions on solving this, because it's annoying to constantly keep an eye on the temp just in case it overheats.

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

The early Core 2 MacBooks do run fairly hot. Your temps do not sound out of the ordinary. If it's a concern to you, and you're good at tinkering with electronics, you may want to take a crack at redoing the thermal paste on the heatsink. If it's never been done, then it's going on a decade old and likely degraded a fair bit.

3. firelighter487 thread starter macrumors member

firelighter487

thanks for the suggestion, but i'm not going to try it. i've taken apart my dead macbook pro 2008, and the connectors are so easy to break, and that laptop is 2 years younger than my macbook, so i probably mess it up more if i try to replace the thermal paste.