Macbook (Late 2006) Screen Blacking Out

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pop-shuvit, Dec 9, 2011.

1. pop-shuvit macrumors newbie

I bought a late 2006 Macbook off ebay about 2 years ago, I've had pretty good use out of it until a couple of weeks ago the screen started to black out randomly.

I can get about an hours use out of it before the screen just cuts off. The computer itself continues to run but the screen, speakers and keyboard just die. The only temporary resolve is to hold down the power button to shut down and detach the battery for a couple of hours and try again. If I try to immediately reboot, the screen cuts within 15 minutes.

I took it into the Genius Bar and the guy said as it's over 5 years old they can't do anything to it and that to replace the screen would cost as much as I bought the laptop for.

I have been looking into repairing the problem myself, buying a new LCD/inverter. However I'm not sure where the problem is coming from, is it the wiring, the inverter or the screen itself which need replacing? Is it all three? Is it even worth the hassle?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Cheers!

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

If the screen shuts down without the computer being moved or bumped, it probably isn't the wiring. If you shine a bright light through the Apple logo on the back of the case can you still see things on the screen?

My guess is the inverter, but try the above and report back. That will give us a better idea.

3. pop-shuvit thread starter macrumors newbie

It's definitely not the back light, nothing shows up with a light shining through. Totally black.