Macbook Late 2007 - Hard Drive Upgrade?

MrFluffums

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
I want to upgrade my macbooks hard drive. What is the biggest size and speed (is 7200 rpm accepted? or do i have to stick with 5400?) for my macbook late 2007? Model 3,1?

Thanks!

Mikeske

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I recently got a MacBook 3.1 from a friend that had a bad hard drive and I replaced the stock hard drive with a Seagate 500 GB hard drive running 7200 RPM. I was a little surprised at how silent the new drive was as after starting it to format it and load the OS X on it I could not tell that it had spun up, it was virtually silent.

The other problem is that it need new RAM and I went and got 4 GB of RAM from Staples (the only place that had any) Once I got everything together I put it in and everything is working great.

Oh BTW this is my first posting and I have a hobby called collecting old MAC's and rebuilding them as I enjoy the challenge.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I'd say go for the 7200rpm. I don't even think I noticed anything different from a performance standpoint, but it was the difference of a few dollars even a year ago when I upped my Late 2006 model from the stock 80 GB 5400rpm HD to a 500 GB 7200rpm drive.

Things got really sluggish as of late, so within the past month I went from the stock 1 GB RAM to 4 GB RAM (3.3 recognized in OSX). That seems to have helped a bit. Now I just hope my laptop can last for another year or more to make the investment worth it and before I can hopefully upgrade it.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
The only downside to a 7,200 rpm drive is it will consume more power (and possibly make more noise) then a 5400 rpm drive.

I wouldn't think twice in a desktop, but it's something to think about in a laptop.

As long as the drive is SATA and physically fits, then it should work just fine in your MBP.

Good Luck!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.