Macbook Late 2008 (Aluminum) RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by teejaysyke, Jul 4, 2014.

1. teejaysyke macrumors regular

Hello, I just got the 2.0GHz Late 2008 Macbook Unibody, and I want to upgrade the ram to 4GB, from the 2GB it came with. I'm using two 2GB chips from a late 2012 Mac Mini, and it starts up fine, but the second I click on iTunes. I get a kernel panic, and then if I restart I get a kernel panic on boot. The only way to fix this is to reinstall the ram, or put the old ram in, but that defeats the purpose.

I don't know how to get the logs for the kernal panic, but I'm just wondering if that RAM being 1600MHz could cause the panics?

2. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

The RAM from the Mac mini is completely different than the one in the macbook. In the Mac mini it is PC3-12800 and in the macbook it is PC3-8500. So basically it isn't compatible.

3. teejaysyke thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, thank you. I was confused because I know they're both DDR3 so I figured it would work.

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Technically it should have worked fine. The RAM simply would be down-clocked.

5. teejaysyke thread starter macrumors regular

Just for ****ts and giggles I reinstalled the 4GB of ram earlier, and it seems to be working fine, I opened a ton of apps, including iTunes, logged out, logged in, reopened apps. Restarted, etc and no I didn't get any kernal panics.

I think I migh have not installed the top chip perfectly before.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Some pre-2011 MacBooks have been noted for having issues downclocking RAM. To avoid problems, I highly recommend that buyers order the correct specification RAM appropriate for their computer. Technically, faster DDR3 will be downclocked, and slower RAM will run just fine at its given speed, but it can have issues either way.

7. teejaysyke thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I plan on doing that with an 8GB kit from OWC.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Newegg also has a wide variety of RAM at a good price!