Macbook late 2008 on 4K TV - Will it work?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MSC87, Feb 18, 2015.

1. MSC87, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015

MSC87 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I just ordered a Panasonic 58" AXW804 4K TV and want to occasionally use my old macbook late 2008 to watch Sky Go.
    Some specs about my Macbook:

Processor: 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Hard drive: Samsung 840 EVO SSD
    Memory: Increaesed to 8GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Since I do not know the specs of my HDMI and Displayport I am asking you whether it will be possible to run my Macbook on my 4K TV? In other threads I read about black screens and that they are not able to get it to work.

What will be the max. resolution? What adapter and cable would I need to run it on the highest possible resolution? Do I need additional software to be able to run it in full screen?

Thank you in advance for your input and feedback.

Cheers,
    Manuel

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It will work but you will not be able to get 4K resolution from that MacBook.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The maximum resolution for that model is 2560x1600. That is roughly half of the 4K resolution.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I believe that the resolution that Intell stated is only usable when using a straight Mini DisplayPort cable and not HDMI.

5. SnowLucas macrumors member

Sky go isn't in HD anyway so there wouldn't be much point worrying about 4k from the macbook. Maybe 1080p and let the tv do its upscalling?

Sky go from my MacBook pro via hdmi like this looks acceptable but not spectacular. This is intentional from Sky as they want you to use Sky go on the go rather than a Sky hd box replacement.

6. MSC87, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015

MSC87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for your help.

I am using Sky Go in Germany and it is offered in HD so it would be great to watch it at the highest possible resolution.

I want to buy a Mini Displayport to Displayport cable but as mentioned, I read that it does not seem to work with such an old device.

Has someone tried to connect a Mac with similar specs over a Displayport to a 4K tv?