Macbook Late 2008 upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iExposed, Jan 25, 2012.

1. iExposed macrumors newbie

What would you recommend for primary use(s) of editing photos & video using Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop, Premier Pro & After-Effects.

Current Setup:
    Late 2008 Aluminum Macbook 2.4GHz
    4GB RAM
    500GB 7200rpm HDD
    Leopard OSX

1) Upgrade to 8GB RAM
    2) Upgrade to SSD (though I think the price/storage is still high)
    3) Save for a MBP

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

1. It should cost around 50 USD.

2. SSD will cost between 100 to 300 USD and more, if you want a bigger capacity.

3. That is probably the best choice, though a RAM upgrade shouldn't hold you back from saving enough. Depending on what you do in AE and PS and LR, a dedicated GPU might speed up things.

I use AE and PS on a 2009 MBP with the 9400M and 9600M GT combo, and often the 9400M suffices my needs.

3. ELMI0001, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

I'm debating the same thing ...

I upgraded to 4 GB right away, but have considered pushing to 6 or 8 even. Don't know if I need to, but want to.

I was looking at an SSD but didn't want to give up the optical drive and didn't want to lose capacity. My 160gb hard drive is filling up quickly (we have a 20 month old so we have lots of pictures and videos), so I was looking at a 256gb SSD from Crucial. That's about $400 including tax/shipping/transfer kit.

My MacBook will turn 4 later this year. Perhaps the money is better put towards a new machine. We would probably go iMac in the office and keep the MacBook for mobility and are adding an iPad when the 3 comes out. iMac/iPad for me, MacBook for my wife.

If I go ahead with the iMac purchase, I'll move all the music and non-home videos to the iMac and maybe put in a smaller SSD in the MacBook just to give it a breath of fresh air for my wife.

Lots to consider!

It's a tough decision. I'd save for a new machine and sell your old one (if that's a consideration).

4. iExposed thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I'll try the 8GB RAM upgrade first but ponying up for an SSD would probably be better spent saving for a new MBP.

Is the 2.4GHz really being taxed when encoding H.264 files to an intermediate format in Premier? What about for RAW stills in Lightroom?

5. Jayp03 macrumors newbie

I have a late 2008 Macbook running Lion. I upgraded my RAM to 8GB a little over a year ago and I just upgraded my HDD to an SSD this past week. Overall, I think the upgrades were worth it and I'll probably keep this machine for another year or two before buying a new one. I spent about $220 in upgrades total. It's really up to you though on what you feel is worth it.

6. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

What size SSD?

7. Jayp03 macrumors newbie

120GB. Crucial m4.

8. torana355 macrumors 68020

Save for a new MBP. If anything adding ram and a cheap 64gig SSD could be quite cost effective.

9. iExposed thread starter macrumors newbie

I just swapped upgraded to 8GB RAM from 4GB and that definitely helped with the amount of beach balling. Guess the next step would be to slap in a SSD or get a new rig for photo/video editing. Might actually try building a Hackintosh :p