MacBook (Late 2009) for $200 on CL?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GimmeSlack12, Feb 7, 2012.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The catch is that the guy spilled water on keyboard and the keyboard is busted. That's not too big of a deal as I'm really looking for a HTPC, though still researching if that will be enough horsepower to drive 1080p movies.

My question is if I wanted to try and replace the keyboard would that be possible? I hear it's not the easiest of machines to work on.

2. simsaladimbamba

My 2007 iMac with a 2 GHz C2D CPU and 4 GB RAM can play back 1080p content (except Flash of course), even my 2008 white MacBook could do that (though not that often, as 1080p content on a 1280 x 800 display is a bit stupid).

As I don't see any guide about keyboard replacement on iFixIt (here are the guides on iFixIt for that model), I guess, it is a bit complicated, to say the least.

3. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

I'm not sure about replacing the keyboard but I'm more worried about the water did get through the keyboard and affect the motherboard...

4. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah that is to be reviewed still to if the guy gets back to me. But assuming that the MoBo is ok then I'll consider this a strong possibility to buy and use as an Plex machine.

5. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Great price if its only a keyboard replacement - what is the cost if you replace keyboard?

6. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

So far I've seen a new keyboard at $50. Though the process for doing so is fairly daunting, nothing I can't do, but I'd say is a 7/10 on the difficulty scale.

The guy hasn't responded though so I'm figuring this isn't gonna happen anyway.