Macbook late 2009 unibody upgrade questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Garussell, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Garussell macrumors member

Hello I'm looking to upgrade my macbook with an SSD and possibly adding more RAM too. I'm kind of not really sure where to buy or look for stuff. Then which is of the SSD or RAM is compatible and so on. Just looking for some insight thanks!

2. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

If you go to "about this mac" in the apple menu, it will tell you what speed memory your computer is using, it should be 1067MHz, and I think your model should (unofficially) support up to 8GB (official i'm fairly sure is 4GB but I've seen 8GB work reliably). Most manufacturers of memory will work well in a mac as long as they are the correct size and speed. Name brands such as Kingston or PNY are usually better than off name brands, but I suggest reading a few products reviews.

As for SSD, any 2.5" standard SATA type drive will work. Again, I suggest reading a few product reviews on which manufacturers and models people have had good experiences with.

I actually very recently upgraded my '06 MacBook from a 5400RPM hard drive to an SSD and it gave me an unbelievable boost in speed. I don't even feel like I'm using the same computer, definitely a recommended upgrade to keep your computer feeling quick and responsive!

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I upgraded my old mid 2009 MBP(very similar hardware to your late 2009 MB) with 2 x 4GB 1333MHz RAM(I don't recall the brand though) and a 256GB Crucial M4 and it was a huge improvement for most usage. Unfortunately, I got the urge to upgrade to something newer so I gave it to my parents.

4. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I have 8GB on my unibody late-2009 white Macbook. I bought these memories on Ebay in 2010 and they're unbranded (probably an exceeding production from China). Currently, Corsair sells memories "for Mac" at 1066 speeds. 8GB is rather easy to find and it's the maximum supported on this Macbook (although I'm not really sure if it wouldn't support 12GB from 4+8GB modules or even 2x8GB with rewritten SPD information, informing EFI that there are 2x6GB modules). The easier path is buying these "made for Mac" Corsair, DDR3 1066 modules.

Regarding SSDs, I have a Samsung 840 EVO and I hear a lot of forum members saying that Crucial M500 is another good choice. These are the main preferences between Mac users, I guess. They're capable of using the entire SATAII bandwidth despite they're SATAIII. Some models downgrade to SATAI as they're unable to negotiate SATAII speeds.

5. Garussell thread starter macrumors member

hey everyone thanks for input. i actually got this problem solved and i'm happy with the results so far except for one. check out my other thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1747082) if you have the time otherwise this thread is closed thanks!