MacBook late 2010 help

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
Hi everyone

My girlfriend has a white MacBook late 2010 with mavericks. She just installed mavericks and it looks like that might have been a a mistake. It's pretty slow now. Does anyone else have the late 2010 running mavericks? Is it slow for you? Is there a remedy you can recommend? Would a boost in ram help? Pretty sure you can only bum up from 2 gigs to 4. Any help is appreciated. thanks

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Hi everyone

My girlfriend has a white MacBook late 2010 with mavericks. She just installed mavericks and it looks like that might have been a a mistake. It's pretty slow now. Does anyone else have the late 2010 running mavericks? Is it slow for you? Is there a remedy you can recommend? Would a boost in ram help? Pretty sure you can only bum up from 2 gigs to 4. Any help is appreciated. thanks
Definitely up the RAM. I always go by the rule of "if the minimum is x, your ram should be at least 2x".

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Same as previous posters : this Macbook can use up to 16 GB of RAM on Mavericks.

2 GB is not enough for Mavericks, 4 GB is ok, 8 GB is perfect : I would install 8 GB.

Also remember that just after installing Mavericks, Spotlight re-indexes the computer (this can take a while : hours) making it very slow and unresponsive.

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
Same as previous posters : this Macbook can use up to 16 GB of RAM on Mavericks.

2 GB is not enough for Mavericks, 4 GB is ok, 8 GB is perfect : I would install 8 GB.

Also remember that just after installing Mavericks, Spotlight re-indexes the computer (this can take a while : hours) making it very slow and unresponsive.
It's been almost a week and she's telling me it's running noticeably slower. She's by no means a power user by any stretch and really only needs it run efficiently for things like listening to itunes while on word. Do you think the jump to 8 is really necessary? Or will 4 suffice? Just trying to save money

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
4 GB will be fine on Mavericks.

Also, you should, if this has not be done yet, launch Disk Utility (Applications / Utilities) to verify / repair (if asked) the disk, AND repair the permissions, then reboot.

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
It's been almost a week and she's telling me it's running noticeably slower. She's by no means a power user by any stretch and really only needs it run efficiently for things like listening to itunes while on word. Do you think the jump to 8 is really necessary? Or will 4 suffice? Just trying to save money
4 will work. However, I went to 4 in 2011 and in 2014, I'm going to 8 (at the time, my MacBook was believed to max out at 6).

The difference between 4 and 8 is 50 bucks, I'd spend it.