MacBook late 2010 help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Z8beema, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Hi everyone

My girlfriend has a white MacBook late 2010 with mavericks. She just installed mavericks and it looks like that might have been a a mistake. It's pretty slow now. Does anyone else have the late 2010 running mavericks? Is it slow for you? Is there a remedy you can recommend? Would a boost in ram help? Pretty sure you can only bum up from 2 gigs to 4. Any help is appreciated. thanks

2. MTL18 macrumors regular

Definitely up the RAM. I always go by the rule of "if the minimum is x, your ram should be at least 2x".

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Same as previous posters : this Macbook can use up to 16 GB of RAM on Mavericks.

2 GB is not enough for Mavericks, 4 GB is ok, 8 GB is perfect : I would install 8 GB.

Also remember that just after installing Mavericks, Spotlight re-indexes the computer (this can take a while : hours) making it very slow and unresponsive.

4. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

It's been almost a week and she's telling me it's running noticeably slower. She's by no means a power user by any stretch and really only needs it run efficiently for things like listening to itunes while on word. Do you think the jump to 8 is really necessary? Or will 4 suffice? Just trying to save money

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

4 GB will be fine on Mavericks.

Also, you should, if this has not be done yet, launch Disk Utility (Applications / Utilities) to verify / repair (if asked) the disk, AND repair the permissions, then reboot.

6. MTL18 macrumors regular

4 will work. However, I went to 4 in 2011 and in 2014, I'm going to 8 (at the time, my MacBook was believed to max out at 6).

The difference between 4 and 8 is 50 bucks, I'd spend it.