MacBook, Late 2013 Trackpad/Keyboard Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leekli, Aug 25, 2014.

1. leekli macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've seen previous posts around this however still can't find a solution.

This morning, my MacBook Pro's (details below) Trackpad and Keyboard has stopped working at all. I'm able to use it with a Bluetooth keyboard and Mouse.

There is an EFI v1.3 update however this was for a OS X version previous to what I currently run and therefore it won't run the update.

Any suggestions welcome!

MacBook: Model MacBookPro11,1 (Retina Late 2013)
    OS X: Mavericks 10.9.4

Many thanks

Lee

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Can you boot into the recovery partition? Does the keyboard/trackpad worth then?

3. leekli thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Maflynn - No they both don't work in recovery mode, however the bluetooth ones still do.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a long shot but try resetting the SMC and PRAM, though I really doubt it will fix the issue. Tbh, I think it might be hardware, since the recovery OS X is not able to recognize the keyboard/trackpad.

5. leekli thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried both of those just now but it didn't do anything.

When rebooting, I pressed the alt button to bring up the selection screen for my mac or recovery disk, and both the trackpad and keyboard randomly work on just that screen - I had another go of recovery mode, and an off the chance go of safe mode and they still don't work. Weird how it works on that selection screen?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you have a backup of your data it probably can't hurt to repartition/reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.

7. kieranread macrumors newbie

If a reinstall does not work, I know some people have this issue and had to go to apple to get it looked at, but please try SMC, PRAM and A reinstall to cover all areas, if not apple will still send you back home and say you need to reinstall. If you decide to go to apple you must make sure you back up your data because again they will just send you home, I know my trackpad didnt work great but that was because the battery died and it runs fine now.

8. leekli thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys. I've done a reinstall but not a fresh one, it hasn't made a difference. Would you recommend a fresh, from scratch reinstall now?