Macbook Late unibody 2008 problem free

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by firewater, Feb 7, 2010.

1. firewater macrumors regular

Just wanted to see if anyone else was lucky to have problem free Macbook:)

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Was there a defect in them that I'm not aware about? I know a couple of people who have the late 08 MacBooks and they are happy with them.

3. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I have one that I got as a refurb and it's been problem free! I love it :D

4. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Love mine.

It's actually a desktop for me right now. Set up with the apple keyboard and mouse with a 27" dell monitor.

Very very good setup.

5. mosx macrumors 65816

Mine was problem free up until the firmware update in December. The "Superdrive firmware update". Now my drive can't write discs or read some discs. Dealing with Apple to get it fixed now. Even though it was out of warranty at the time, it was Apple's firmware update that killed it. So they're responsible.

6. UniPleb macrumors newbie

My Macbook stopped writing DVD's after the firmware update too.
    I bought it early October 2006, so the warranty is way gone.
    Are you sure Apple still get's it fixed for you?

7. mosx macrumors 65816

Well, I wrote the usual email to sjobs@apple.com and got a reply from an executive customer support person.

She seems to think its a software issue. But a software issue wouldn't affect Mac OS X and Windows (native, Boot Camp). Plus I did an SMC reset and it somewhat changed the behavior of the drive. Still can't write DVDs properly, but discs it couldn't read before it can read now... and discs it could read before it can't read now. It all started with that firmware update in December. Drive was perfect, 100% before then.

So we'll see what they day. It started with the firmware update, so it is their responsibility no matter how far out of warranty it is or whatever EULA they try to hide behind. Imagine if a car dealership/mechanic tried to show you a piece of paper that said "I'm not responsible for damage caused to your car", you couldn't sign it, then trashed your car and then said "sorry! EULA says I'm not responsible!". That wouldn't hold up in court for one second. So yeah.. we'll see.

8. UniPleb macrumors newbie

I totally agree. However I haven't got the time or the money for suing, so I am very interested in any information on how this problem is being dealt with.

9. firewater thread starter macrumors regular

I love my refurbished :apple: as well:D I always wanted the aluminum look for macbook. I wish they would go back in size ala powerbook 12 inch with alum keyboard. That shhh would rock!

10. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

I sold my Unibody Macbook to a friend who doesn't seem to be having any trouble. I am assuming if she did she would be barking in my ear about it. haha.

I did have to get it replaced within the first 2 weeks of owning it because it would freeze up when doing graphically intense stuff... And towards the end of my ownership, it would cut to snow intermittently on an external monitor. But-- my friend is a basic user, she will never hook it up to an external monitor. haha. :p

11. mbtalle macrumors member

I bought mine as a refurb back in August and haven't had one issue with it. A buddy of mine is giving me his 22" Asus monitor, so I'll be getting Apple's wireless keyboard and using it as a desktop soon.

Now that you all mention it, I waited about a month before I updated the Superdrive and when I tried to burn a DVD earlier, I had an issue with Burn (freeware) trying to recognize the DVD. It took me several tries before I got the DVD to load properly, but it finally took.

And here I thought it was just the program. Hmm...