Macbook late2009 incompatible with 8GB ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bundesdrucker, Nov 29, 2011.

1. bundesdrucker macrumors newbie

Hi everybody
    I've got the Late2009 white unibody Macbook (A1342) with 4GB of RAM, which seems to be the maximum for this model. However, Mactracker told me, that I can upgrade to 8GB even though Apple states its not compatible. So I bought Corsair 8GB RAM for my Macbook (this one) and installed it yesterday. Seemed to work like a charm.
    Then today out of nowhere I got a Kernel Panic (the first one I ever experienced - totally freaked me out at first!). I restarted and got another one, restart, another one. So I replaced the RAM again and now it seems to work.
    So my question: Should I just return the RAM or should I go through the hussle and memcheck it? Is there anybody who upgraded this specific model to 8GB with Corsair ram? Or can a Kernel Panic happen because its "too much" then Apple actually intended?

2. bundesdrucker thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it Corsair? So should I test the RAM if one of them is damaged?

3. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

4. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I think for it to work you have to update your software to the latest OS and firmware , what ever that means...it can be done from the Apple->Software Update ....

I have late 2008 model and was told that it works to use an 8GB RAM, I decided to play safe and installed 6GB RAM. There is a significant improvement in performance and the system breaths happily . Moral of the story: 6GB is enough unless you are dedicated videogame player(which you shouldnt use MAC for) or a professional working in multimedia then you should update your computer I guess.

5. Blueimac, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

Blueimac macrumors newbie

Blueimac

Today my MacBook (same model as yours) arrived from eBay and I installed 8GB of Crucial CT2KIT51264BC1067 PC3-8500 1076MHz DDR3 (4GBx2) 204-PIN memory in it right away (had ordered it earlier this week) and it was running perfectly for at least the last six hours, Then just a few minutes ago the video froze up while watching a YouTube video (Macy Grey - I Try in case you're wondering) ..but then Magic Mouse and Trackpad also became unresponsive ..I've never experienced this problem before.

I had to force shutdown/reboot (by holding down the power button) several times before the video cleared up and everything was displayed correctly again. Maybe an overheating issue ?

I don't know if it's related to the 8GB of memory installed or not, I could try replacing one of the 4GB modules with a 2GB and get by on 6GB total.

Update: Since yesterday and again several times this morning I've experienced video/system lock ups (the display goes completely white or gray, sometimes half and half, sometimes white with multi-colored thin horizontal lines)

The mouse and touch pad become unresponsive, I have to force shutdown using the power button and it takes several restarts to clear the problem up.

Could this be due to too much memory ? Even though my Macbook recognizes the 8GB ?

I have removed one of the 4GB modules and replaced it with a 1GB that came with the MacBook so it's now running on 5GB to see if that helps.

This is not going the way I had hoped, I don't know if it's a Video Card or Display problem or The Logic Board ? It' s becoming very annoying now

6. BL4zD macrumors 6502

There is a GUI fronted for memtest on OSX called Rember that should help you diagnose whether your memory is faulty.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15837/rember

I have a late '09 unibody MacBook and have been running 8gb of RAM without issue for about a year now so any problems you're experiencing is not due to there being too much RAM in the laptop.

7. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I just ordered 8GB of Corsair last night for my late '09 MacBook. Hopefully I have no problems

8. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

So far so good..
    Everything launches so fast! I wish I did this a while ago.

[​IMG]

9. nicklad macrumors 6502

How peculiar. You forgo the benefit of running in dual channel and lose 2GB... all for some superstition... :p

If your EFI and operating system is up-to-date, you're fine...