Macbook LCD cracked in 2 weeks!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mac17, Apr 8, 2008.

1. mac17 macrumors regular

My friend bought a macbook from the Apple store (his first mac on my recommendation) and two weeks later the LCD cracked, it was always kept in a case and never handled roughly, we have no clue as to how it cracked and the apple store wants $830 to fix it, :eek: which is waaaaaay to much... so does anyone know of any good places to fix it? I found a site iResq.com for $369 did anyone ever use them are they a good company? Any help would be appreciated thanks!

2. tnisatard macrumors 6502

this doesnt really help you, but can you please post pics?

3. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

I would but as its my friends and im at home I cant really take any pics of it, but all youl see is a really messed up screen with a huge blotch covering the whole thing but the left hand corner...

4. Webb macrumors regular

Webb

Doesn't Apple covers within the 1st year ?

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The Apple Store probably looks at the damage as "accidental damage" and it's NOT covered by the warranty. :mad:

6. eman macrumors 6502a

You can buy a new LCD from someone on ebay for $180 shipped and install it yourself or have it locally installed.
    Here is one seller and here is another on ebay.

A cracked LCD screen most likely will not be covered under warranty; although you could try if inclined.

7. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

installing it myself would probably be difficult and break my warranty so I wouldnt do that. I would like to do a authorized repair if anyone knows any online companies that I could just ship it to....

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

The Geniuses I know always recommend iResq.com to customers in this type of situation. Their techs are Apple certified.

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Your friend is leaving out how he broke the lcd. It didn't happen by itself imo.

10. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Cracked LCDs will never be covered under warranty, no more so than water damage to the logicboard.

11. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Now it's your laptop? :confused:

Just say it, you were careless, and it fell or something.

12. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

NO....its my friends laptop which I recommended to him and being as its my FRIEND I am trying to help him as he's not so tech savvy, and no it didnt drop it so dont start telling ME what happened, wtf is the problem with you? Do you see me complaining that apple should fix it (which they should) ...no the threads about where to fix it other then apple. So next time dont respond if you have nothing to say.

13. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

there's no visual damage what so ever on the notebook, you can tell it had never been dropped and he always kept it in a Incase bag... the thread is not how it broke its how to fix it. So whether you believe me or not its not the point.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Just because it has always been in a sleeve and never dropped doesn't mean a pet didn't walk across it, or books shift over in the backpack and apply pressure just right.

But it is glass in a stressed area, and thermal cycling could just be enough to do it in rare cases.

Really hard to prove though, and even when it happens in cars from thermal cycling or cowl flex -- the owners usually end up eating the repair costs until the manufacturer finally admits to a problem and institute a note to their repair facilities.

Edit: so a genius is sort of correct, nothing they can do but follow policy until told otherwise.