MacBook LCD replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Erickson5, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Erickson5 macrumors newbie

I just replaced the LCD screen on my late 2008 aluminum macbook and now it will not work. The backlighting appears to be working as I can see that the screen lights up somewhat. If I plug in an external monitor that I have been using for the last year (because the lcd was damaged) the external screen works fine. Any ideas other than take it in?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

3. Erickson5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know for sure. I bought it new on Amazon but I don't know

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Was the original damaged LCD working at least to see something other than white? Eg, some colors?

And have you resat and checked the LVDS/Display data cable? Look for any signs of corrosion too, sometimes it can be that simple. But it could also be the replacement LCD. Every once in a while I've gotten dud parts myself.

Not sure what guide you used, but iFixit's guide is pretty though and you could always double check it to make sure you didn't miss anything. I've forgotten to plug things in on occasion. :eek:

Best of luck though! Those Late 2008 models are darn tough and still work great! Had mine since launch and never missed a beat. Minus a top case replacement, but that's another story.

5. Erickson5 thread starter macrumors newbie

More info:

I have a sync master samsung external display plugged into the laptop. When I turn on the computer, nothing will show on the laptop display or the external display. Once I close the laptop lid, the external display will show properly and I can use the computer that way. It is almost as if I missing the driver for the laptop display or something. Any thoughts?

Here are my system displays on the computer preferences:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCI
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0863
    Revision ID: 0x00b1
    ROM Revision: 3385
    Displays:
    SyncMaster:
    Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Display Serial Number: HVLPC05952
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Rotation: Supported
    Adapter Type: Apple Mini DisplayPort To VGA Adapter
    Adapter Firmware Version: 1.03

6. Erickson5 thread starter macrumors newbie

got it fixed. I figured out what the problem was. The video cable wasn't staying connected. I first tried to replace the LCD without taking the entire top off and this made it very difficult to get a good connection with the video cord. I then followed Ifixit procedures and it works great. I cheapened out and used regular electrical tape to secure the connection, put it all back together and walla....IT WORKED. Only problem I had was that as i was putting the new glass back on (original broke during the repair), I realized that I had forgotten to remove the protective cover on the LCD. So, when i went to remove the glass, it cracked....Ordered a new one and it and it will be here soon.

I have to say that I am kind of impressed that I was able to fix this issue, now I wish that I hadn't waited 2 years to make the fix. I was about to sent it to Apple and have them fix it for $300-400 and decided, what have I got to lose.

Thanks to all who provide the tips and support for fixing things yourself. Very much appreciated.