Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fezzasus

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Solid silicon, yes. Various pastes, sealants and other stuff that incorporates silicon, like the 'silicone sealant' around your bathtub, have different properties. Because more people are familiar with rubbery and squishy things called 'silicone', it's common to think of those first.

I'm reasonably confident that the OP wasn't saying it was the substrate of their chips that was causing the liquid.

I'm more than familiar with the make up of thermal paste. I'm a chemist.

First. Thermal paste is designed to get hot, it's ridiculous to assume that it's melting under conditions where the processor doesn't fail. I assure you that the thermal paste will be tested at both extremes.

Secondly, if there were a situation where the thermal paste melted, it would re-condense before it started leaking out of the computer - i assume the liquid coming off the laptop isn't at 380 F?

Third. Thermal paste does use solid silicon, thermal paste is a mixture of various chemicals NOT a compound.

Finally. The volume of thermal paste used is about 1 mL - that's enough saliva used to a lick a large stamp - not much, it simply isn't enough to ooze out of a computer.

BBrown

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
I'm in the same liquid mess!

My daughter's MacBook is leaking an oily liquid from the battery lock. We noticed because she has a colored plastic cover and the liquid was more apparent within the shell. When I took it to the store, they said they couldn't figure out what is was as there is nothing in the computer like that and it must have been a spill. However, when I pointed out that it was oily and only seeping from the lock (not soda, or coffee that had been spilled into the keyboard or case cover) they were stumped. They basically said that they had no idea since the system was still functional. I addressed that the thermal compound between the CPU and the heat sink is silicone and when overheated will melt into an oily liquid and a residue. Their response was that the system would fry if it got that hot and be inoperable. I'm now dealing with another Mac Genius who says there has been several service tickets regarding "leaks" and he's researching the issue for me. I'll keep you posted.

I am currently dealing with the same issue. My Black MacBook started spewing liquid with a pressure-releasing "hisssss" as though someone had poked a hole in a balloon. The liquid was clear and oily, and smelt to be chemical. As of right now, my laptop is toast. Its barely 2 months old.

Obviously I took it into my local Apple store and their response was that something was obviously spilt on my computer. As a matter of fact, NOTHING liquid was even remotely close to the laptop and I am 300%+ sure that nothing was spilt on the computer. The Genius opened up the computer at the store to take a look and there was a severe amount of corrosion that had occurred throughout the computer. Its completely fried! His response was that it looked to be "sugary"... right...

To me, it was pretty obvious that it looked to be a battery leak. I've never seen coffee or water turn a piece of metal into a corrosive filled mess.

Apple has given up on me and I've been left out to dry. If ANYONE can help, I would be greatly appreciative. Has anyone who has posted here had this issue resolved??

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I am currently dealing with the same issue. My Black MacBook started spewing liquid with a pressure-releasing "hisssss" as though someone had poked a hole in a balloon. The liquid was clear and oily, and smelt to be chemical. As of right now, my laptop is toast. Its barely 2 months old.

Obviously I took it into my local Apple store and their response was that something was obviously spilt on my computer. As a matter of fact, NOTHING liquid was even remotely close to the laptop and I am 300%+ sure that nothing was spilt on the computer. The Genius opened up the computer at the store to take a look and there was a severe amount of corrosion that had occurred throughout the computer. Its completely fried! His response was that it looked to be "sugary"... right...

To me, it was pretty obvious that it looked to be a battery leak. I've never seen coffee or water turn a piece of metal into a corrosive filled mess.

Apple has given up on me and I've been left out to dry. If ANYONE can help, I would be greatly appreciative. Has anyone who has posted here had this issue resolved??
I would email sjobs@apple.com it goes a long way. Explain in detail what going on. And hopefully it will get resolved. I did it for when a part took over a month to order/come it for my pb. Lo and behold that week they were able to get the part :rolleyes:

BBrown

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
I would email sjobs@apple.com it goes a long way. Explain in detail what going on. And hopefully it will get resolved. I did it for when a part took over a month to order/come it for my pb. Lo and behold that week they were able to get the part :rolleyes:

Haha, well as crazy as I think that sounds, I'm out of options right now. SO I've sent of an email to sjobs. Any other responses or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

andrew1523

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2010
Sorry to necro but this issue arisen today for me as well.

I noticed a minimal amount of fluid coming from the circular lock for the battery on my white MacBook5,2 (older pre multi touch track pad) today. It was completely opaque and oily. I took out the battery and it appeared to be sealed completely which is where I thought the fluid would of been coming from, which suggest that the fluid is originating from the inside of the MacBook itself. I contacted apple and they seemed to be really concerned and the representative over the phone said that the engineering department might want to inspect my laptop for further investigation. The representative called me shortly after saying that the engineering department wanted a picture of the fluid which I wasn't able to provide because I had already wiped the fluid away and disposed of it. I'm waiting for the rep to get back to me to see what my fate with the computer is. As of now the laptop is working fine and I'm hoping this works out for me because I am at college and really need to have a computer that I can rely on. Will post new news as it arrives.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
I just opened my brand new Macbook (white, 2ghz, superdrive). When I took it out of the protective wrapping, I noticed that there were some drops of clear liquid on the bottom of it. I smelled the drops, and they definitely have a "chemical" smell. It looks like the drops may have originated at the battery.

I plan to call Apple tomorrow and ask about this (Their support just closed). In the meantime, has anyone else experienced such a problem?

That seems odd! Im yet to notice clear liquid from the battery.

Good luck, mate.

Habitus :apple:

tkboss88

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
macbook ejaculate? =) sorry couldn't help myself.

on a more serious note. could it be the liquid from the display?

Siriosys

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
New Zealand
Just my 2c here, but is there any chance that the cause of the oily liquid coming from MB's is some faulty or blown PSU capacitors?? Are they usually filled with an oily liquid???

On a slight side note, but somewhat related, I'm increasingly frustrated at why it is that Apple (and ESPECIALLY Apple) seem to train their staff to effectively accuse customers of either spilling on, damaging, or dropping their computers before maybe just taking a slightly less prejudiced view of a 'faulty' computer that comes into a shop???? I seem to read more and more stories on this forum of people who have to basically PROVE beyond all reasonable doubt that a problem was not caused by them.......

JhonnyC

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2010
I'm going through the same thing with my BlackBook :(
But also my battery has completely stopped charging and the macbook says to replace the battery immediately, and I'm sure that the oily substance has something to do with it. I'm reluctant to just replace the battery because this seems like a serious defect but my macbook is no longer under warranty so I'm not sure what apple will do.

let me know what the rest of you guys end up doing. or i'll do what puckhead193 said and just email the boss.
=)

MetalPhreak

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
If you are wondering about apple (and other companies) being cautious when it comes to liquid damage, blame all the people who DO spill stuff on their laptop, and then try to claim it under warranty.

I used to work at a phone shop, and the amount of times someones come in "yeah my cell broke, I want a replacement under warranty". I take one quick look at it "sir this is liquid damaged. I can see the coke/water/juice/toiletwater inside the LCD :rolleyes:" It's even more obvious when you show them the water sensitive sticker inside the battery compartment of some xD

If it's a known issue though, they should let all their support staff know so they can take the right action.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.