Macbook: Leopard Dock Semi-Broken

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pyr0sphere, Jan 5, 2008.

1. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

I don't know what happened but for some reason, I can no longer right click or remove any items from my Dock

I have Onyx installed which has an option to lock the dock, however that is off. I am certain that my dock isn't locked because I am able to move items around the dock, and also add new items

I don't know when this started but it may have been because I was changing the dock's appearance by replacing some of the pictures in the system files (frontline.png, separator.png etc.)

I've restarted my Macbook a couple of times and have also done killall Dock in the terminal but everytime, I still have these two problems

Also, when booting up my Macbook now, the dock takes much longer to load. Before, it would usually be one of the quicker things to bootup but now it is always the last (before Quicksilver was usually the last program to load for me)

I also used a Terminal command to add a "Recent Applications" stack by following instructions posted here:
    http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/index_files/terminal-commands-for-hidden-settings-in-leopard.html

I've since removed this Stack but the problem still occurs. Don't know whether or not this had an impact or not

2. Stadsport macrumors regular

I would try Repairing Permissions. I'm thinking maybe in trying to edit the appearance you might have replaced or written to a file and now it can no longer do it. Onyx could have done this too.
    Do it from Disk Utility.

3. Kelly™ macrumors regular

-thumps the OP over the head with his computer-

Rule number 1,456 of all computer geeks:
    Thou shalt perform full backups of OS and files before futsing with custom code and filesystem modifications. This includes all 'hacks', 'cracks', 'themes', and so called 'freeware' not falling under the open-source category.

Had you done such things most call "common-sense" you wouldn't be in this predicament would you?

Lesson learned I hope.

4. pyr0sphere thread starter macrumors regular

Heh, I never had an external harddrive until yesterday. Now, it's alway connected to my Macbook for the sole purpose of Time Machine

Anyway, it seems like you guys think its changing the appearance of the dock that messed it up.

Regarding repairing permissions, I'm pretty sure that this doesn't apply only for me, but as far as I know, repairing permissions does not work under Leopard, or it could just possibly take hours.

5. Kelly™ macrumors regular

Is a fresh install out of the question?
    Did you by chance save the files you modified so you can put them back?

6. pyr0sphere thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, a fresh install is out of the question. To be honest, it's not that big of a problem. Just sometimes annoying not being able to right click on a Stack to sort it another way

I was just about to post asking if anyone could upload or send me their files

System > Library > CoreServices > Right Click on Dock > Show Package Contents > Resources

All the files in there (should include frontline.png among many others)

7. Kelly™ macrumors regular

Files sent so others know not to send duplicates.

8. pyr0sphere thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the files!

Everything is back to normal now :)

Thanks again

9. PiersRippey macrumors newbie

@ Kelly

Could you send me the files too? I have the exact same problem!