macbook leopard failed install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chris200x9, Nov 19, 2007.

1. chris200x9
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Hi I was installing leopard on a core duo macbook running 10.4.11 and I put in the leopard install disk, I chose upgrade and the install just barely started and then said "install failed". After this I immediately booted intoo 10.4.11 to see if it was alright, it was. When I try to install again I get to the point where it says select a destination, I choose the harddrive and when I select it and hit continue a dialog box pops up that says your chosen instalation type cannot be done. I then hit option and a dialog box pops up again that says the destanation volume must be completly earased and the new Mac OS X will be installed.

what's wrong? Is there anything I can do about this? Do I need to back up and erase and if so what is th best way/ back up program? Also I don't have an external hardrive but do have another macbook next to me with enough harddrive space to fit my back up on.

2. chris200x9
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502a

if I create a disk image with carbon copy cloner will it just copy my files a.k.a data and not my system folders and if I do that can I easily keep all my prefrences once I upgrade

3. chris200x9
    Expand Collapse

what I think I mean is can I back up the home folder and then clean install and replace the new home folder with the old one?

4. Sun Baked
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G5

Sun Baked

5. chris200x9
    Expand Collapse

could I just send the home folder o my other mac upgrade and then send back

6. chris200x9
    Expand Collapse

when I enter the sudo command it won't let me enter my password