macbook lid cracking sound

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by swgms, Sep 4, 2008.

1. swgms macrumors newbie

I have always had MBP, but this week I bought my mom a macbook and I have been setting it all day. i shut it down and then closed the lid and then for the hell of it opened the lid again and noticed this crack sound. I repeated opening and closing a few times and it is defiantly making a sound only when opening not closing. It seems to be coming from back left area, but no damage is noticeable.

is this normal or should i be taking it in to an apple store?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Did you accidentally deep fry it? Can you feel anything when you put your finger gently over the area as it cracks?

3. miiles macrumors regular

My fathers MacBook squeaks, but its not really a cracking noise, does it really sound like its breaking?

4. jeffuwee macrumors member

jeffuwee

is that a term? "deep fry" lol or were you being sarcastic.

5. swgms thread starter macrumors newbie

Deep fry?

No, but I did some more work on it and I think two of the screws a slightly loose. You can feel a slight rise in the left hand side compared to the right. I tried tightening it, but do no have a small enough screw driver and will half to wait until morning to go get one. I found another thread with the same problem and many people fixed it with applying a VERY SMALL amount of wd40 on the area.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I just think a deepfried MacBook would crackle a little. It's certainly something I wouldn't recommend. Even though there's nothing specific regarding deepfriers in the fine print, I imagine it'd void the warranty too.

Careful with the WD-40 too. Make sure it's a miniscule amount, if you use any at all.

7. swgms thread starter macrumors newbie

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

9. opinio macrumors 65816

The Last Post

This was Mad Jew's last post. What ever happened to him?

If he was hungry he must have finished eating by now.

10. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Best thing I'd check is the plastic hinge, just under the MacBook Pro logo. If you push that down on the middle, then on the left and right hand side, it may make a 'cracking' sound as you've described (I've had this happen a few times).

If this happens Apple are usually pretty good at repairing it under warranty, as it's wear-and-tear. Providing there aren't any big dents in it, of course. :)

Hope this helped as that's what was causing the issue similar to what yours sounds like. Please let me know if this is it!

11. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

My 2012 does that also and I've always just ignored it. Some say that the issue can be fixed by tightening the screws of the bottom lid nearest the hinge. I also found this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFlOPY45veM