MacBook Light Saber!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by S7A2G6, Oct 12, 2011.

1. S7A2G6 macrumors member

S7A2G6

So I have an 15" mid-09 MBP
    2.8GHz, upgraded 8GB ram, and just recently decided to upgrade to the Momentous XT. I backed up (time machine) my old HD. Removed it and put in the new drive. Updated the firmware on the XT, rebooted while holding the tracpad down, and inserted the SL install disk.

As soon as that was up and running, I upgraded to Lion via the Appstore. I then restored from my time machine. Everything was easy and ran flawlessly. So it was no surprise to me when I noticed that my fans (there are two) run relatively slow, but it sounds as if one is moving faster than the other. I never noticed it being so "noisy" before. To give some reference, my laptop sounds EXACTLY like a light saber from star wars, when I move it. I am sure it does not help that I am sometimes dancing like a fool as if my Mac was some type of saber. I am sure my wife would send you pics for the right price. At any rate....

I am asking if this is something normal or is there a couple lines of code that I need to put in to fix, or could I have knocked something loose during the HD swap? or... ?

2. Nevermake macrumors member

Sounds like your fan(s) is/are scraping against something... That can happen if you move your Laptop pretty... vigorously.
    Also, this is a very, very bad idea, since it could easily damage your hard drive. Any laptop should be moved with care when it's on, so swinging it like a lightsaber will not help you save the empire, it will rather bring you to the dark side (and your Macbook to the Apple Store for expensive repairs).

A little care you must show young padawan! :D

3. S7A2G6 thread starter macrumors member

S7A2G6

Is there anything that would tell it to only turn one fan instead of both?

I did notice that it runs remarkably cooler than it ever had. As long as I am careful, I can not see this situation being a bad thing...

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

no

5. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Not unless one of them is broken... my understanding is that if something is wrong with the SMC that they don't run normally, they run at the full speed (6000 rpm) to keep the computer from getting damaged.