Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
Should all of the discussions about the new Macbook not go into the Macbook section? I see people are trying to call it the "Macbook Air Retina" *shivers*

This makes me feel dirty.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Should all of the discussions about the new Macbook not go into the Macbook section? I see people are trying to call it the "Macbook Air Retina" *shivers*

I just report threads that are in the wrong forum and the moderators move them. Same goes for thread titles.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
Good strategy, but I also think that the terms "Macbook Air retina" and "retina Macbook Air" should be "warning" level offences. If I had my way, people would be banned, but I am willing to be lenient. ;)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The MacBook Pro was one line of computers. The new MacBook had a very long break in between (five years) and is designed with a different mentality.
With such a long break in between, and the fact that there was relatively little traffic in the MacBook forum, there's no reason that the existing forum can't be used for both, since the vast majority of posts will be for the retina MacBook.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
With such a long break in between, and the fact that there was relatively little traffic in the MacBook forum, there's no reason that the existing forum can't be used for both, since the vast majority of posts will be for the retina MacBook.

Either way would work and I do agree with you to a point but I also think that they were two different products with two different motives. The MacBook Pro, since its induction in 2006 was a professional and prosumer laptop. The MacBook before was an education and consumer laptop with the role now being filled by the MacBook Air. The new MacBook with Retina Display is more of a consumption machine than anything else.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Yep. That's where we have been moving them.

HarCees

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
Either way would work and I do agree with you to a point but I also think that they were two different products with two different motives. The MacBook Pro, since its induction in 2006 was a professional and prosumer laptop. The MacBook before was an education and consumer laptop with the role now being filled by the MacBook Air. The new MacBook with Retina Display is more of a consumption machine than anything else.

Totally agree. The Macbook(white) and the new macbook is a totally different product line and I believe it should not be discussed in the same forum.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Totally agree. The Macbook(white) and the new macbook is a totally different product line and I believe it should not be discussed in the same forum.

It is like how Jeep made the Cherokee XJ and the new Cherokee. Both are different products but share the same name. That doesn't make them the same category.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
It is like how Jeep made the Cherokee XJ and the new Cherokee. Both are different products but share the same name. That doesn't make them the same category.

Yes the XJ and the new Cherokee and the MacBook and the Retina MacBook are both different products that share a name but they both share the same intent/role.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.