Macbook line-up conundrum for forum structure

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by theSeb, Mar 10, 2015.

1. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Should all of the discussions about the new Macbook not go into the Macbook section? I see people are trying to call it the "Macbook Air Retina" *shivers*

This makes me feel dirty.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I just report threads that are in the wrong forum and the moderators move them. Same goes for thread titles.

3. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

Good strategy, but I also think that the terms "Macbook Air retina" and "retina Macbook Air" should be "warning" level offences. If I had my way, people would be banned, but I am willing to be lenient. ;)

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am hoping that they will introduce a section called "MacBook" and "Classic MacBook".

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why would they? They don't have separate categories for Retina MBP and Classic MBP.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The MacBook Pro was one line of computers. The new MacBook had a very long break in between (five years) and is designed with a different mentality.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

With such a long break in between, and the fact that there was relatively little traffic in the MacBook forum, there's no reason that the existing forum can't be used for both, since the vast majority of posts will be for the retina MacBook.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Either way would work and I do agree with you to a point but I also think that they were two different products with two different motives. The MacBook Pro, since its induction in 2006 was a professional and prosumer laptop. The MacBook before was an education and consumer laptop with the role now being filled by the MacBook Air. The new MacBook with Retina Display is more of a consumption machine than anything else.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep. That's where we have been moving them.

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I we will more likely treat it the same as the iPod touch vs iTouch. :)

11. HarCees macrumors member

Totally agree. The Macbook(white) and the new macbook is a totally different product line and I believe it should not be discussed in the same forum.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is like how Jeep made the Cherokee XJ and the new Cherokee. Both are different products but share the same name. That doesn't make them the same category.

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Yes the XJ and the new Cherokee and the MacBook and the Retina MacBook are both different products that share a name but they both share the same intent/role.