Macbook + Linksys Router = Headache!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Malus, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Malus macrumors 6502

Hey all!!

I've been having a re-occuring problem for the past few months now and was wondering if anyone could help me out. Alright, I have a Linksys Router ( Wireless-B 2.4 GHz 802.11b Model BEFW11S4 ) which currently connects to 1 computer wired (A Dell Desktop w/ XP), 2 Laptops wirelessly (My Macbook and a IBM Thinkpad w/windows 2k) , and my xbox360 wired.

The thing is that it seems that the router has been screwing up lately and wont let anyone on the net. The only solution is to just unplug the router and the main cable box and plug them back in, resetting all the settings.

Just today though, the IBM was able to connect, but my macbook was not...

My concern is that I think that my macbook is doing this. I had a G5 imac before and everything was fine (which was a year ago) now thinking back I think the problem started to happen once I got the Macbook.

Has anyone had this problem, or do you think that my router is just going on me? Thank you!!

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Get a new router. Linksys routers are a pane in the ass.

3. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

I'm all about isolation. I'm having a similar issue and have isolated the problem through a series of tests.

First ask yourself *when* the issues started. Were any security updates installed around the same time the issues came about? (that's what happened to me)

The Thinkpad can get on wirelessly, so we know the signal's going out and being received by the it. That eliminates the router being the issue. However if that's just a recent update to the situation, we'll need to see how long the wirelessly connected things will stay on. Cause if nothing can connect, there's a configuration or hardware issue with the router. And there are some routers that just need to be reset from time to time. hmmmm maybe I need to do that with mine!

Connect your macbook via ethernet cable....can you get on now? What about the other things that are ethernet connected...can they get on? If so, then we're looking at an airport card issue.

Try looking at those things and we can go from there.

4. ElCambo macrumors regular

Strange I have no issues with my Linksys router, im going wireless on it and so are 3 other pcs. Worked perfect since the day i set up my mac.

5. ronni3 macrumors regular

I have a WRT54GL that has open source firmware installed instead of Linksys' firmware, and mine works perfectly. Maybe you have it set up incorrectly.

6. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

I have the WRT54G and love it. I also have an open source firmware on it which is great.

Where is your router set up, or rather do you have a lot of other wireless systems near you, like neighbors in an apt building or such? if you have a lot of other wireless networks in the area then try changing the channel. i was having problems with my PB and airport express hooking up to my router until i changed the channel to one that wasnt being used.

7. Malus thread starter macrumors 6502

Its in the basement by its lonesome.

I've come to the conclusion that my router is lame and I'm getting a D-link router next week. It will be fun and my linsys router will probably meet mr. baseball bat.

8. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

I use a Belkin and it's great!