MacBook (Lion) doesn't sleep even after closing lid

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by tongteh, Jul 26, 2011.

1. tongteh macrumors 6502

Is anyone experiencing this as well? I have encounter the same problem a few times now. My macbook would have it's fan keep running even when the lid is closed. Isn't it strange? I haven't had this problem before in Snow Leopard.

In snow leopard, even when the fan is running at 6200rpm, as soon as I close the lid. My macbook would be quiet almost instantly. However, with Lion my fan and processor would keep running.

Anyone else? any idea?

2. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Have you checked what sharing services you have running? Do you have iTunes home sharing enabled?

3. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

nope. it's really strange. now my only option is to turned it off and the load time is much slower before making it a least favourable option.

4. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

is anyone else experiencing the same problem??

5. hkl00k macrumors newbie

6. spincr macrumors member

spincr

I have yesterday. It simply didn't go to sleep when i closed the lid.

7. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

how did you sorted it out? or is it still persisting?

8. zoomy macrumors newbie

I found two ways to solve this issue. First one, unplugging power and two turning internet off. Both work and computer goes to sleep when the lid is closed.

9. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

This happened to me today. I shut the lid and when I came back an hour later, the Apple logo was alit and the computer was still actually running?! This never happened with SL. Opened the lid and I had to force shutdown. First time ever. There are also plenty of times when I close the lid and once I re open it, I get disconnected from Wi-Fi...

10. Synergie macrumors 6502a

I had this issue with Lion when I first upgraded. I did the SMC reset and it worked like a charm! I do remember reading to make sure when you do the SMC reset hold the shift-ctrl-option + power down for more than 10 seconds before you let go. The Apple website only says to release them at once and doesn't say how long to hold them down. Holding for the full 10 seconds might make a difference... I don't know. Anyway it worked for me. I have not had the sleep / wake issue since.

Also... to prevent any issues with sleep cycles again I installed an app called Smart Sleep. You can control what mode your MBP will go into for sleep. In Smart Sleep mode, it will go into sleep if it's above the minimum battery level (which you set) and below that it will hibernate protecting your data. Above that level, it will only keep info in RAM and not write it to disk as well, which has been suggested as being part of what's causing the sleep / wake issues. In any case, it certainly speeds up how fast it wakes!!

11. mrtravel123 macrumors regular

I can't get mine to sleep no matter what. I've tried the Shift-Control-Option-Shutdown route... I've checked the Administrator functions (I'm the only user and I have Admin rights),... and I'm not sharing anything at all.

Nothing works. When I close the lid, my laptop stays running. I have to manually tell it to sleep via the Apple.

12. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

This reminds me of early Snow Leopard bugs that had MBs/MBPs overheating in bags because they hadn't gone to sleep on close. It now has the potential to be worse overall, as the new design Airs have no sleep indicator - at least on the rest you can check the light pulsing! Damn there have been some doozies (no not dioxide, thanks auto-correct) on OS X version releases - remember the Leopard Graphics Update? Designed to fix myriad crashing issues related to graphics, but in practice made them much worse, ahh those were the days :).

13. hekokimushi, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

hekokimushi macrumors regular

hekokimushi

Mine doesn't sleep when i close the lid, but i thought only because i dropped it breifly 5cm off to the floor. never worked since. used to work, so my case i think it is the sensor's problem. so i can't blame Lion for it

if i select sleep from the  menu, it works... will just have to manually select that rather.

14. mrtravel123 macrumors regular

I've called tech support about this and another problem. You get 90 days free support after buying Lion. So, if your machine is past the warranty period, you're still covered for Lion.

The first person I talked to tried several trouble-shooting techniques to get my monitor to sleep upon closing the lid. (It would only sleep via choosing "sleep" via the Apple symbol). After several failed attempts to fix this problem, I was passed to a Senior Advisor.

The Senior Advisor and I tried several things, ranging from resetting various things (pushing several keys) while turning the MBP off -- and also pushing several keys during startup. Each attempt was to clear or reset the MBP in one form or another. We even tried creating a new user, etc. Eventually, he e-mailed me a "Capture Data" file which permits Apple to take a snapshot of my error messages, etc. (Keep in mind, just 1 day ago the Genius Bar gave me a new logic board and they ran "deep diagnostics" on it before I took it home. I wasn't having this problem before getting the new logic board. But, the Genius bar "cleared" my MBP via "deep diagnostics" and sent it home with me. If it weren't for others having this problem, I would have thought it was a faulty logic board or a bad installation of the logic board). I then e-mailed the Senior Advisor (while still talking to him on the phone) that "Capture Data" report. I should hear back from some techie guru department within a week. Who knows, maybe the issue is with a certain logic board and that's why not everyone has this problem???

Concerning the "memory leakage" with Safari (my 2nd big problem), the Senior Advisor had me delete ALL of my extensions in Safari (by going to my library and deleting my internet plugins from that specific folder. (Keep in mind, Apple hides your USER library now and you have to press "alt" and click "go" when you're at your home folder in Finder. I need to monitor Safari and, if really necessary, re-install extensions 1 by 1 if I really need them (as such sites might).

So, if you're having it, CALL Apple so that they know about it. They can't fix something if they don't know is broken. And, everyone's Mac is configured differently (and with different hardware). They have to do research to find out where the problem is coming from. It may be a Lion problem with a particular Mac, configuration, etc. They can't get that information via reading MacRumors threads.

15. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

This is happening to me also. I've been running Lion for two weeks and haven't had any problems until now. Just yesterday I popped it into a bag and it didn't go to sleep. Since then, I've haven't been able to sleep with either by closing the lid or clicking manually on the sleep command of the Apple menu.

Any tips would be appreciated. I intend to explore some command line options for forcing sleep.

16. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Well, using the CLI I learned a few things. First, the commands that should produce a sleep don't. They fail with the following error message.

Code:
    error 0xe00002e2
    I tried both of the following commands to sleep the system manually and got, basically, the same results.

Code:
    pmset sleepnow
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -s now
    I have not been able to find any explanation of the error code. Any information would be appreciated.

17. mrtravel123, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

mrtravel123 macrumors regular

I'm able to get mine to sleep via the manual way (Apple button). Maybe you can keep trying this.

It might be best for me to shut the laptop OFF for now. I'm not sure if once we get them to sleep - later they'll wake up on their own and burn the house down.

18. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I wish that worked for me.

19. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

mine did this the other night after a day of crashes and restarts. I am starting to believe that safari, along with flash, is the problem. It was constantly freezing to the point of having to hard restart, and since then I have been using Chrome with no issues at all. Now when I close the lid it goes to sleep immediately. No freeze, no beachball, nothing. Something is not right with safari.

20. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

There is a beta release of the flash player for Mac OS X Lion to resolve some of the issues. But, even after installation, my system still won't sleep. And I'm a diehard Chrome user. Safari isn't even on my dock anymore.

21. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Guys have you tried to reset the SMC?

Turn your laptop off completely. Plug in the mag-safe adapter. Hold down Shift-Control-Option-Power simultaneously. Hold for at least 10 seconds. Release all buttons at once. Then power as per normal.

That 'may' fix your issue as the SMC is responsible for certain system functions such as sleep / wake. (If its being caused by something else then I am at a loss) But I did have sleep issues recently, after upgrading to Lion and the above fixed it. I have not had any more sleep issues since.

22. igregurec macrumors newbie

Sharing settings

I had the same issue yesterday. MBP would not go to sleep when on charger but then I realized it have something to do with Sharing settings. I've enabled floder and interent sharing before it happened and after disabling them both everything's back to normal.
    Btw. it seams like my MBP is jealous of the new machine that came few days ago.:confused: It had all kind of weird symptoms like a patient in some dr.House episode :D Any advice how to get them together as a team?

23. cleanton macrumors newbie

There is a hidden folder called ubiquity. Delete it and restart your computer.

To unhide your files try to google. To find the ubiquity folder go to

username/library/application support