MacBook Lock

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ethical, Sep 11, 2009.

1. ethical macrumors 68000

Hi guys,

I'm heading off to university in a week and was wondering if any of you felt it would be necessary to get a lock for my MacBook? I've read some reviews on the Kensington locks and they seem pretty useless in my opinion.... so im not sure if it would be a waste of money or not? I also just bought an external hard drive that has a Kensington lock port on it.... so if I were to buy one I'd get one with two locks on the cable. What do you think? Worth it... or an expensive piece of bling for my laptop and HDD?

Cheers,

Luke

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

They're all worthless. Just get renter's insurance or a rider on your home insurance policy to cover all of your valuables. I also suggest purchasing Orbicule Undercover to recover your Mac in case of theft. It's fully transferable should you get a new Mac to replace your current one in the future, and is a one-time purchase with no upgrade fees (as yet).

3. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

I was literally about to buy one of these tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. I live in a student residence, and fortunately we have a maid, but I don't want to put too much trust in her.

My solution is just to hide the computer in a sleeve somewhere different. Seems to be working (knock on the wood) :D !!!

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I wouldn't say that they're useless unless you've got no way of actually securing it. If there's no plate or no way for you to attach it to something else then yes, it is worthless. But sometimes just seeing the cable is enough to make someone not attempt to steal your laptop.

5. GeneKam macrumors regular

useless
    A. cutting one of those locks takes 2-3 min with regular scsiors and under 10 sec with a wire cutter.
    B. breaking the hole where the lock goes is a joke on reg macbooks and a bit tougher on aluminum but i am posetive that anyone wouldn't mind having a small chip in the casing if the notebook they steal is .....well free. Getting new bottom casing is dirt cheap on ebay anyway
    I would just recommend keeping the laptop with you majority of the time and just keep it out of sight when in your room.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

If you're able to cut the cable with just a pair of scissors then you're buying the wrong kind of security cable.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

For reals. The ones people in my dorm always had were braided steel threads/cables.

OP, get one. Having it there is usually deterrent enough to stop most thieves and will cause them to look elsewhere. Just be sure to put it away when you're not there, and also keep the door locked.