Macbook Locking Up

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dobbadobbs, May 15, 2012.

1. dobbadobbs macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Recently upgraded Mac (macbook aluminium 2008) with - 2 x 4gb sticks of Corsair 1067 ram. Was running lion and had loads of lock ups when watching video.

Decided to downgrade to snow leopard as read online there are issues with video on lion.

Anyway, now on snow leopard and whilst watching video is ok, i'm still getting random lock ups (have to power down as keyboard and everything has locked up).

Should I go for a different set of RAM? All RAM tests I've run using memtest have come through ok. Don't think heat is an issue as the bottom of the case is quite cool to touch (only froze about 10 minutes ago).

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

If you put the original RAM back in, does it still lock up? That's where I'd start troubleshooting.

3. dobbadobbs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply - unfortunately I no longer have this!

Come across something interesting....

There are two models listed on the site I purchased the RAM from, one for Apple, one for PC. I have ordered the PC version by mistake which could be a cause of my problems!

The only difference I can see is the voltage is listed as 1.5v on the Mac memory and is listed as N/A on the other RAM.

Could it be the voltage of the RAM causing the problem?

Thanks in advance.

4. dobbadobbs thread starter macrumors newbie

Have since bought the Crucial 8gb kit.

Just had first lock up earlier today - had Football Manager running and was browsing a website and it locked.

Also keep getting wifi drop outs, which only a restart will solve.