Macbook Locks! Fighting Dorm Room Theifs...

Garrettc87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
26
4
Hey im going off to college in the fall and of course, im taking my gorgeous black macbook with me, the only question I have is what lock options do I have. By the way, i am talking about physical locks. I also have a very nice 27" flat screen hd tv that is going along side, what can I lock that up with. It has a stand that I could attach it to, its the viewsonic n2750w. I have seen a few notebook locks at staples that use the vga out, but obviously the macbook doesnt carry such an obsolete port.jk. but anyways, any help or links of product suggestons would be very appreciated. Thanks!
 

newmaccanada

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2005
40
0
Macbook Locks! Fighting Dorm Room Theifs [sic.]:confused: ...

A dictionary might be a good idea since you are college bound and wary of "thieves" (you know the rule, i before e, except after c:rolleyes: ).

Get insurance, back up frequently and a laptop lock is necessarry to demonstrate that you have shown "due diligence." I think than any brand of lock is bound to be flimsy. At my uni, though I am faculty, a laptop lock is necessary if you want to be able to make a claim against theft.
 

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
589
1
Tacoma WA
newmaccanada said:
Macbook Locks! Fighting Dorm Room Theifs [sic.]:confused: ...

A dictionary might be a good idea since you are college bound and wary of "thieves" (you know the rule, i before e, except after c:rolleyes: ).

Get insurance, back up frequently and a laptop lock is necessarry to demonstrate that you have shown "due diligence." I think than any brand of lock is bound to be flimsy. At my uni, though I am faculty, a laptop lock is necessary if you want to be able to make a claim against theft.
I find it funny that you criticize someone of spelling when you don't even know how to spell yourself (or at least how to use a spellchecker.)

Faculty? lol

Some people:rolleyes:
 

newmaccanada

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2005
40
0
Zman5225 said:
I find it funny that you criticize someone of spelling when you don't even know how to spell yourself.

Faculty? lol

Some people:rolleyes:

Typo buddy! But the spelling/grammar errors on this forum are atrocious.

And it bothers me, as a university professor, to find someone off to college and yet unable to spell.
 

Garrettc87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
26
4
ok mr. community college, can we please discuss laptop/monitor locking techniques.
 

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
1,332
0
My advice:

1. set your system to require a password at start.
2. set your system to require a password upon wake from sleep and removal of any screen-saver.
3. turn on auto screen saver after x amount of time.
4. get a good backup system going, burn files regularly, files are more important then the computer, which you can replace.
5. if you want to put your mind at east then get a laptop lock but know that the kensington ones have been proven to be not so secure.. see the movie showing how to unlock them using a piece of paper.

Something like this: http://www.computersecurity.com/computer_cage/ (just did a quick search but it is similar to what Apple uses in their stores) in your dorm room might be better then one of those cable locks.

skool is fun ;)
 

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
6,044
116
Canada, eh?
The reality, of course, is that a determined thief can make away with your laptop no matter what you do with it. Obviously a cable lock is only for casual thefts. The link someone posted above talks about someone who could pick such a lock in just a few seconds using nothing more than a ballpoint pen.

As the other posters have said: get insurance, use the lock as due diligence, and otherwise treat the laptop as if theft is a certainty -- back up often, encrypt private information, etc.
 

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
356
0
Garrettc87 said:
Hey im going off to college in the fall and of course, im taking my gorgeous black macbook with me, the only question I have is what lock options do I have. By the way, i am talking about physical locks. I also have a very nice 27" flat screen hd tv that is going along side, what can I lock that up with. It has a stand that I could attach it to, its the viewsonic n2750w. I have seen a few notebook locks at staples that use the vga out, but obviously the macbook doesnt carry such an obsolete port.jk. but anyways, any help or links of product suggestons would be very appreciated. Thanks!
Make sure your room door is lock and any chain will do. Since many students will have no locks. Its like the club they will find another computer to steal.

There is a security slot next to the earphone jack on the side...
 

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
789
0
I don't know what college you will be attending, but a lock might be a bit much. If anything it will show how paranoid you are and friends will try to mess with your computer more. A password protected system will deter people more then a lock. Friends messing with the settings of your computer is much more common then computers actually disappearing.
 

66217

Guest
Jan 30, 2006
1,606
0
newmaccanada said:
Typo buddy! But the spelling/grammar errors on this forum are atrocious.

And it bothers me, as a university professor, to find someone off to college and yet unable to spell.
Maybe the reason of this is because English isn't our native language.

In my case my native language is Spanish. I know english, but not perfectly.
 

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
1,301
628
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
zim said:
My advice:

1. set your system to require a password at start.
2. set your system to require a password upon wake from sleep and removal of any screen-saver.
3. turn on auto screen saver after x amount of time.
4. get a good backup system going, burn files regularly, files are more important then the computer, which you can replace.
5. if you want to put your mind at east then get a laptop lock but know that the kensington ones have been proven to be not so secure.. see the movie showing how to unlock them using a piece of paper...
I might also suggest turning File Vault "on" your Macbook.
 

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
428
6
NY
TDM21 said:
I don't know what college you will be attending, but a lock might be a bit much. If anything it will show how paranoid you are and friends will try to mess with your computer more. A password protected system will deter people more then a lock. Friends messing with the settings of your computer is much more common then computers actually disappearing.
I agree most people in college just want to mess with a cool looking computer. Unless you like to leave you room door unlocked (or you roommate doesn't lock it) your more likely to have some one mess with your files then to steal it form your desk.
 

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
356
0
TDM21 said:
I don't know what college you will be attending, but a lock might be a bit much. If anything it will show how paranoid you are and friends will try to mess with your computer more. A password protected system will deter people more then a lock. Friends messing with the settings of your computer is much more common then computers actually disappearing.

No laptops go missing everyday at colleges... I think its better to get one... let them steal your roomates laptop.
 

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
1,051
0
TDM21 said:
I don't know what college you will be attending, but a lock might be a bit much. If anything it will show how paranoid you are and friends will try to mess with your computer more. A password protected system will deter people more then a lock. Friends messing with the settings of your computer is much more common then computers actually disappearing.

Very true. Very very true. I had it done to me and yes i took part in the messing as well.

I would still recomend buying one of those locks for your laptop,not for your room but lets for when you go else wehre like the libary and you need to get up for about 30-40 secs. that keep the laptop there long enough to prevent it from being stolen and you to get back.

As for keeping you stuff safe a few very simple tips
1.) keep you door locked when you are not there.

The big one
2.) get to know the other people in your hall and make friends with them. They will noticed if some one is in your room who shouldnt be there and will stop it.

Following both is very imporant but rule 2 I think is more imporant because not making friends will make college a very lonely place and you will hate it. rule 2 saved my room mates and my stuff at one point in time (you see we where poor about following rule 1 and one guy was going though the dorms stealing stuff. And then he got ot my hall where everyone was friends with eachother and knew eachother. Tryined to get into my room and got into some major trouble for it. Since the others in the hall knew who I was and they never seen the person they question it.

Plus it was a good group of friends. My roommate I had at the time I met the previous semster and then we moved in together. now 2 years later we are living off campus as roommates and he my best friend.

LIke the guy said dont be over protective. keep security in mind but dont go over board and get to know people and college is quite a bit of fun.

as for your computer set a password on bootup, coming out of sleep, or screen saver is a good idea. not for protecting it but to keep people from messing with it. Right now my computer my computer has password on boot up and that mostly out of habit and incase I want to lock it when I leave. But that because I know my room mate not going to do anything to my computer. Only reason he would get on it is to check something on the net really quickly or a setting that I am using.
 

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
1,690
0
newmaccanada said:
Typo buddy! But the spelling/grammar errors on this forum are atrocious.

And it bothers me, as a university professor, to find someone off to college and yet unable to spell.

it bothers you? jeeze get a grip. you shouldnt let others influence your mood so easilee.
 

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
623
38
PA
X5-452 said:
Password lock it. Hide it when not in use. Lock your door. Most importantly, get iAlertU.
i wouldnt use iAlertU for your macbook yet, its still buggy and it caused a sleep/wake problem with mine. cool program to show off but doesnt really deter theft at all.

will you have a roommate? depends if theyre cool or not, then you can decide whether to passward lock. def get a lock for your macbook though.
 

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
623
38
PA
newmaccanada said:
Typo buddy! But the spelling/grammar errors on this forum are atrocious.

And it bothers me, as a university professor, to find someone off to college and yet unable to spell.
the OP might have made a typo too you know... and the rest of his post followed punctuation and grammar too which for forum posting is pretty good.
 

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
1,404
1
true, but you should still beware of what you buy. Try to buy the locks that come with a guarantee, that if it is stolen, they will buy you a new one. Those locks are more expensive, but they are worth it.


Also, in my opinion, after my first year, I realized that locks arent really needed. Just make sure your door is ALWAYS locked, when you goto sleep, go out, go to eat, etc, just lock it. If you arent able to look who comes and goes from your room, just lock your door.
 

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
566
1
Madison, WI
My friend had his G4 tower stolen, and lost all his data. He said it was more tramatic than losing his girlfriend.

What I've started doing is making 4.7gig encrypted sparce disk images (easy to do with Disk Utility) and putting all my apps, music, photos in them. Because of the size, they are easily backed up to DVD, and the encryption prevents people from gaining access if they steal my powerbook.

OSX handles it fantastically too. If you click on a dock item pointing to an app in an encrypted volume, the volume opens itself (with password check) and then the app loads. No missing application error or anything. It's really slick.

Apps load MAYBE one bounce slower, and once open are exactly the same.