Macbook Logic Board Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PeckyUK, Oct 28, 2009.

1. PeckyUK macrumors newbie

Hi guys, new here and would like some help.

Was just wondering if anyone would be able to answer a quick query for me. I have a Macbook 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo that is a late 2007 model which has a faulty logic board. I've been scouting around and found a good price for a replacement which is a 2.0GHz board. Was just wondering if this would be able to work in my macbook. Im not sure if there would be issues with the RAM as the late 2007 models were upgraded to take 4GB's.

Any help would be great,

Thanks

Greg

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

You need to double-check which version of the 2GHz board you are thinking of buying - there are 3 !

The one you want is the Santa Rosa version - Intel 7300 processor - the earlier boards will not fit your existing bottom-case.........

3. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Also keep in mind that if the price of it gets to be over $187, you can sell your current broken macbook, buy a used white macbook, and put old HD in the "new" machine for less money total than fixing your current one.

4. PeckyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to clear a few things up:

This is a project for me. Wanted to see if i could rebuild a macbook but just need a few pointers along the way i guess.

How do i know i need the Santa Rosa version. I have checked the serial numebr online and all the info i can really get is that it is a Macbook 2.2GHz produced in late 2007. Were all the late 2007 macbooks using the santa rosa architecture?

Thanks

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes - all Santa Rosa (2GHz base model and 2.2GHz black and white models).

If you check the back of the casing you will see 5 large rectangular vents (about 4cm x 2cm) if it is a Santa Rosa model - previous ones have a grill with hundreds of vertical vents all the same...)

The earlier logicboards will "fit" in the SR case but the heatsink does not fit and you will need new speakers, bluetooth, heatsink/fan etc

6. PeckyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that sounds right, i have 6 elongated slits on each side of the back casing.

well now i at least know what i'm looking for, the rest should be straight forward.

thanks

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

count them again - there are 5 :):):):):)

make sure you get the correct logicboard

Santa Rosa 2/2.2 GHz or Penryn 2.1/2.4 GHz

8. PeckyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

umm, nope, definitely 6 on each side.

Ah, so i can also get a penryn board? is there much difference in speed?

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Santa Rosa bottom case is the top one - the earlier bottom case is underneath - there are either 5 (double) vents or 10 vents

There is no real difference in the speed of the SR/Penryn boards - they all have the same graphics and they all support 4GB. There is not really all that much difference in price either.......

Attached Files:

10. PeckyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah i thought you were refering to the vertical slits either side. :eek:

11. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I worked that out too....

The 6 slits at each end are for the speakers.....

12. kge420 macrumors member

kge420

PeckyUK, I am currently working on a 2.1 C2D MacBook that suffered liquid damage. I too was wondering if I had to stay with the same logic board/processor or if I could change it. Would you pm me so we could compare notes? Thanks, Keith