macbook logic broad broken. fixed?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gomakeitreal, Jul 17, 2009.

1. gomakeitreal macrumors newbie

gomakeitreal

hi, i have a macbook (core duo 1.8G, not core 2 duo). i lent it to my sister b/c i have a work laptop and no longer need the macbook. but after a week, the logic board broke, and my sis said she took it to a store and was quoted $350 to fix it. i am not sure if it is worth fixing anymore.

1) i don't need it as i just use my work laptop now. my sister could just keep using her ibook G4 1.33G 12".
    2) my sister said the screen was kind of flickering too but she wasn't sure. i don't know b/c i haven't used it for sometime. i do not want to replace the logic board and then the screen has problem and costs more money.

any idea what to do? thank you very much.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

It's cheaper to sell it without its hard drive and to put the info into a used macbook of the same model, than it is to have yours fixed.

If it were just a spill, it can be cheap(see sig :D) but for more complex stuff, I don't bother.

4. gomakeitreal thread starter macrumors newbie

gomakeitreal

thanks. not a spill, but "normal" dead. my sis said she smell something.

if i do sell it for whatever it is worth, is there a way to erase the data on the HD without opening the case? that generation of macbook is a pain to open to take it out.

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

You needn't open the case to remove the hard drive.

Remove the battery. Remove the three screws on an L shaped bracket that covers the memory. Look on the shorter portion of the L cover, there is a white tab that is often packed in there. The hard drive sits there. Pull it out.

The screws for the L shaped bracket are not removable from the bracket, so it's impossible to lose them.