Macbook loose hinge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nuks, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Nuks macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

If I pick my macbook up on a forward angle at all, the macbook screen moves back a bit , and when i move to adjust my screen, it feels far too easy.
    I got my macbook just over a year ago. Anyone have this problem, or know if it's fixable by me or Apple?

Thanks.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

On AppleDefects, one of the MB's known (but naturally, unresolved) problems is a weakening of the screen hinge caused by the excessive heat piped toward it by the poor fan placement. For this reason, I've started running smcFanControl, in order to have my MB run at a lower temp, and not cause the premature death of my screen (or hinge). Since you're past warranty, Apple won't give a fig about you. You'll have to fix it on your own dollar. If you do, I'd recommend running a fan controller to minimize the chances of it happening again.

3. eman macrumors 6502a

If the worn hinges bother you enough and you're handy, just replace the hinges.

4. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I've got smc installed, but usually just use it to cool down the macbook quickly when it reaches 70 or so, not as a full-time monitor.

I've got applecare, and I'd rather not mess with it myself.
    is it worth a call?

5. feyn-man macrumors regular

I got my new MB only 2 weeks ago. And I got the similar problem like you.