MacBook loses Airport connection after sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mr_Brightside_@, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Hey, my MacBook at 10.5.3 loses its Airport connection every time it wakes from sleep. The bars will be full in the icon, but no connection can be made. Does anyone know the cause of this, and a fix? Could it possibly be the router's channel? I will also download .4 to see if that fixes it.

2. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

I also have this problem. But it does not drop on my Windows partion so I assume its something with the OS operating system.

3. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

4. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Well, for obvious reasons when you put it to sleep it disconnects; when you open it up, it has to reconnect to the router again, so there will be a slight delay.

I haven't noticed any problems in either my MacBook or my brothers MacBook.

5. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

I posted this in the other thread about this issue in the OS X forum.

This is what solved my problems with WiFi disconnecting randomly, not appearing after awakening, etc.

1. Open network preferences from your WiFi icon in the menu bar. Then click advanced. Delete the network that is giving you problems.

2. Open Keychain in the utilities folder of your hard drive. Find the passwords that are stored for your particular network and delete them. There may be multiple passwords for your network, so search carefully.

3. Repair permissions using the disk utility.

4. Reboot the computer.

5. Reenter your network data to log into the network.

This worked fixing my two computers and my parent's computer. All have been working well for a few weeks now thanks to this. I think the passwords somehow become corrupt with keychain because analyzing the logs of my AEBS, I could see that the computer was registering but the AEBS wasn't giving it access (I'm using WPA2 encryption).

6. fl0w macrumors newbie

Thank You!

Thanks a million southerndoc. You are a lifesaver.

I was getting so frustrated, but your solution worked like a charm. Good thing I had my PSP to search for a solution with :)

7. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

Apple should really add this to their knowledge base. I think I found it buried in a message board somewhere (maybe even here at MacRumors). I think Keychain gets corrupt, but if you try to delete the passwords without deleting the network, it won't solve the problem. It's a long process to fix, but I haven't had any troubles after doing it a few weeks ago.

8. popester26 macrumors newbie

This didnt work for me but i am suffering from the same problem. Any suggestions?

9. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Try resetting your router.

10. dhepwo2 macrumors newbie

Thank You!!

southerndoc, you are a lifesaver! I have a new (refurbished) macbook and I had to reenter the password to log on to my airport every time I rebooted my machine. I did what you said and it worked. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

11. hunter3740 macrumors member

Suspend/Sleep breaks wireless for Windows partition

Alas, I've run into someone at work who has the opposite problem: suspend/sleep the macbook pro when booted to Mac OS 10.5, all is good; however, boot to Windows XP and then sleep/suspend the laptop, the network doesn't recover: if the sleep/suspend was under a half hour, you actually get a few seconds of connectivity, but if out for longer than half hour, no network connectivity. And, just to state: says it's connected, but can't ping the router. The state more verbosely: tried repairing the connection, tried wired and wireless, tried apple software updates (both Windows and Mac OS side, hoping some sort of driver/firmware update), but to no avail. The only fix is to reboot and all is good again (and stays good indefinitely until the laptop is put to sleep/suspended).

12. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

I just love old threads that have working solutions!

My new 13-inch MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard (10.6.2) was dropping it's WiFi connection after a few seconds every time it resumed from standby (sleep) and I followed southerndoc directions and it resolved my issue.

Thanks!

13. Acsom macrumors regular

+1. This has fixed my Airport issues as well.

14. RHD macrumors 6502

This didn't fix my problem but I've had a load of others as well and this fixed those: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1334
    I'm waiting to see if it's related to the lost connection at all.

15. JMD Macuser, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011

JMD Macuser macrumors newbie

Not the most elegant solution to dropped internet connectivity but it works with a 100% success rate and with no messing with potentially dangerous system settings.

Ensure your email client is set to check for new emails every 1 minute. I use Thunderbird.

In system preferences select "Accounts / Login Items" and add your email client to the list. Check the box next to it so it will start minimised if that is your preference.

This makes minimal difference to boot time. My 2008 MBP unibody boots in 25 seconds with a momentus xt hybrid drive set up like this.

Don't forget to keep email client minimised whilst working on other things. If you shut it down you will potentially lose connectivity after a while.

I hope this helps those of you with this infuriating problem whic Apple seems incapable of resolving.