Macbook losing connectivity

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mpulsive81, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

I've noticed that over the past week, my Macbook (CD) isn't able to consistantly maintain an internet connection. I have isolated it to be a Mac/Airport issue as I am able to get connection if i connect directly to the router and my PC is receiving wireless connection w/o issues. I'm in a 1 bdrm apt so it's not a matter of distance, however the problem is intermittant.

If you could help me, that would be grrrreeeeaaaaattttttt. :)

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Do you have all of your updates from Software Update installed?

3. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. thekiller macrumors member

this has been happening to me since I upgraded to 10.4.10, my mb is C2D...it's really annoying:mad: ...

5. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm thinking it has something to do with my upgrades as well. I can only keep connected consistantly through my ethernet cable, my wireless is crapped. Is this an issue that Apple's going to address? I didn't get applecare and factory warrenty expired 6/13.

Would the Wireless N card help any? I still seem to get a full bar on the reception side, I just can't stay connected.

6. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

same here. i just click on the airport menu button and it comes back to life.. try it

7. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried that, and it's working somewhat. I'm really concerned about this because my PC's flying on the internet wirelessly and my Mac can't even stay connected. I have no idea what to do about this. It all started with the last security updates. :(

8. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm wondering if it could be a faulty airport card (9 days after my 1 yr warrenty was up!:confused:) but it really happened after my last update. That's such crap. But i'm gonna try to be civil about it.

Would purchasing the airport N upgrade be a realistic solution? Or would that not help?

9. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

10. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm still having this issue. The only way I can get my mac to connect to a site is by "refreshing" the connection by clicking the airport icon on the top of the screen. What would be causing this and how can i fix it??

11. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

13. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

14. 7on macrumors 601

7on

nah, rarely that'll happen. I think there was something screwy with the modem in 10.2.6 and they released 10.2.8 to fix that. If anything someone will extract the wireless driver from 10.4.9 and allow people to download it to their 10.4.10 installs. I really don't want to archive and install back to 10.4.9 though. All that hassle, but currently I keep getting kicked off aim :-(

15. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Ah, I was about to upgrade to 10.4.10 tonight, good job I didn't. First the audio issue now this.

16. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

17. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

18. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

My old macbook did the same thing i ended up buying a new one....

19. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

Chage your Wireless Options

Wow, I called applecarea bout the same problem a couple of day ago! How funny.
    Well, i also live in a one bedroom apartment, and i normally detect 5-8 networks around my area. Distance should also not be a problem for me, since the computer is only 8 feet away from the Airport Extreme base station. Now, why was it that i kept getting intermittently disconnected from my network??
    I found out that all the signals being transmitted by other routers in my building could be a great source for intereference (not washers and dryers, and other electronic equipment near my computer and router, as i had previously thought).
    To solve the problem all ihad to do was to strengthen my signal and shorten it's range (stregnthening of the signal sghould be enough, though).

To do that you have to acces the Airport Admin Utility, under Utilities, in Applications. Then select your base station and click on the Configure button. Under the AirPort tab click on Wireles Options... Then check the box next to Enable interference robustness, heighten your Multicast rate (to strengthen your signal), and tweak the slider under Transmitter Power if you desire.
    This procedure worked like a charm for me, and will likely work for you! :)

20. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

What about for people that dont use Apple Routers?

21. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

:confused: :confused: :confused: you have to edit their setting somehow....
    either manually or through an utility like Airport Admin Utility
    sry i cant help :eek:

22. shkongmeister macrumors newbie

I had the same problem...

On my refurbished iBook last year. I went to a wireless connection and the computer just couldn't hold it, and finally just would not connect. Turned out to be the airport card, and Apple replaced that, but also replaced the logic board and the hard drive! So if you're going to get it repaired, be sure to back up.

23. Winterfell macrumors regular

I don't know whether this will be helpful or not, but I've noticed that if I turn off the router's broadcasting of the SSID (network name) for my wireless network, my MBP loses connection a lot. When I keep the router broadcasting it, however, I don't have a problem.

24. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll try those solutions tonight and see what comes of it. It seems different solutions are working for different people. I use a Belkin router, so hopefully i'll have similar options as Penter.

What erks me about it is that it only became an issue after my upgrade to 10.4.10. I hope they put something out that'll fix whatever was exploited.

Thanks for the ideas!

25. beans macrumors newbie

same here

i've bought my macbook white 2.16GHz, 13.3 display just days back, and i'm frequently losing my internet signal say every 15 min and i have to close all my safari windows to have it back...i really have no idea, why could it be that my connection on my 20' neighbor speedstream wireless router is not compatible on my unit?