MacBook Loud Fan Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TET879, Jan 25, 2013.

1. TET879 macrumors newbie

My MacBook fan has recently started regularly spinning at speeds of about 6000rpm even though none of it is running hot.

I googled and found several suggestions about checking print queues and looking in the activity monitor but none seemed to help.

I am not running high demand applications (just browser, itunes, stuff like that) and none of my MacBook is hot. The fan is just spinning very fast.

Any suggestions?

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If there's nothing in activity monitor using the CPU, might be worthwhile taking it to Apple for diagnostic.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Have you tried resetting the SMC?

4. TET879 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I tried this the other day and it has not made any difference. Any other suggestions?

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Exactly what sort of temps is your macbook running at?

6. TET879 thread starter macrumors newbie

Generally the maximum it would get to is about 70c when under heavy load. Though now the temp is often not above 50c when the fan kicks in to high gear. Though it has run hotter and the fan hasn't kicked in, so it doesn't appear to actually be influenced by the temperature.

I did a quick hardware check and got the error code 4SNS/1/40000001: TN1D--1.000. After googling it appears this points to a faulty heat sensor. Is taking it in for repairs my only option? Student here so I don't have money to burn so any other solution would be hugely appreciated.

7. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Which machine are you using? Unibody or non-unibody? Can you post a screenshot of iStat Pro with all the fan RPMs and temps?

If you bring it to Apple they will not charge to look at it. They will tell you how much the repair will be. (They may recommend complete logic board replacement in which case that's up to you whether you want to do that).