MacBook m3 black screen on wake, very hot

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jlsm511, May 9, 2016.

1. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

So I got my new 2016 MacBook m3 about 2 weeks ago and I love it! Huge upgrade from my 2015 MacBook 1.1. I've noticed an odd behavior though thats happened two times now. When I open my MacBook and try and wake it up, the screen stays black. The bottom case is also extremely warm, almost like its been doing something while asleep. I have to press and hold the power button to get a response, and then it gives me the "Your Mac has experienced an error" message and to press a key to reboot.

I've repaired the disk from the recovery partition. Has anyone else experienced this issue or found ways around it?

2. Mollan macrumors member

Mollan

It happened to me twice, and both times I had Parallels running before closing the lid. I suspect the problem is in that software.

3. jlsm511 thread starter macrumors 6502

jlsm511

Now this has started happening. Only a restart seems to help. Ideas?

Attached Files:

4. jlsm511 thread starter macrumors 6502

jlsm511

And now I'm getting this. I'm at a loss. Has anyone else run into this and resolved it?

Should I reinstall the OS? Could it be software?

Attached Files:

5. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't even reinstall the OS, go straight to Apple. It's barely a month old.

6. titleistman18 macrumors member

Ditto. I'm confident that despite being past the 14 day period for a return that Apple will just replace your problematic rMB for a new one.

7. jlsm511 thread starter macrumors 6502

jlsm511

Just returned from a horrific trip to the Apple Store. The geniuses and managers take was basically "we'll repair it, but your not getting it replaced, so take it or leave it." I called AppleCare at the store, who were the ones who got me the Genius Bar appointment and set the expectation in the first place about it being able to be replaced, and they are setting me up to do a mail in replacement of the machine. Why they couldn't just replace it in the store instead of shipping me a new one and me shipping the old one back is beyond me, but hopefully this resolves the issue. They seem to think it is a logic board/GPU issue since it starts happening once the CPU is put under load. Will keep you all updated!