Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weldon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
I was just thinking that for $300, the MacBook makes for a nice upgrade over the Mac mini. Not only do you get a screen, keyboard, and trackpad (and a battery) but you also get a faster processor, an expansion slot, and an iSight camera (with built-in microphone). I might have suggested a Mac mini to some people, but now I think I would suggest just getting a MacBook and avoiding the necessity to BYODKM.

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
correct me if im wrong but i thought that only the MBPs had an expansion card slot (1 of the advantages). but I agree completely that a low end macbook kills the mini, as far as i can tell the only use benefit from a mini is if you already have a setup with moniter keyboard, etc , and you are basically only doing word processing and internet and dont upgrade anything.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I'm getting a Mac mini very soon. I realize the MacBook is the better deal, but I really need a desktop Mac (currently on a 17-inch PowerBook G4). And plus, I need Front Row. :D I do see myself purchasing a MacBook eventually, but not anytime soon.

So yes, they are very close to each other in the specs department. In the long run, it just depends on what the user wants and/or needs. And plus, I see the Mac mini getting a speed bump before the summer's end.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
I agree that the macbook has a better value, but if I was to get a mac mini, it would be solely for home theater usage. A macbook sitting next to my tv would not look right, or will it??

I sure hope a processor bump for the mini comes real soon.

_Matt

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2005
The Mac mini is not here for the long run. It will eventually morph into some sort of DVR recorder/home theater system. The new MacBook is a much better deal than the Mac Mini. Anyway, I doubt we'll see the Intel Core Solo Mac Mini surviving past this summer.

I think by expansion slot he means that the MacBook has another ram slot.

iPie

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
Milan, Italy
Mac Mini

IMO if you need to get an Apple right now, the Mac Mini is a better buy.

If you can wait a few months (or even until Rev B.) to see what problem crop up with the Macbook, then you are probably better off going with the Macbook.

I was going to get a MBP, but after reading about the heat and whine, I decided to go for the Mini and wait and see.

I haven't been too impressed with the whole line of Apple laptops recently (also lots of complaints about the screen(!) on the 17"), plus I have all of the other accessories.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Yea, heat and whine was an issue for me, and I got a Mac mini too. :D

Plus I don't know how I'd feel about the new, non-optional GLOSSY screen.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
p0intblank said:
I'm getting a Mac mini very soon. I realize the MacBook is the better deal, but I really need a desktop Mac (currently on a 17-inch PowerBook G4). And plus, I need Front Row. :D I do see myself purchasing a MacBook eventually, but not anytime soon.

So yes, they are very close to each other in the specs department. In the long run, it just depends on what the user wants and/or needs. And plus, I see the Mac mini getting a speed bump before the summer's end.

You can use the new macbook in clamshell mode which means you could use it as your desktop computer (with the VGA or DVI out). Plus have the portable computer if needed. The portability and extra speed would nearly make it worth the extra you pay.

Personally i'm going to return my MBP, which i would love to keep if it didn't have that annoying whine, and get a MacBook (after i read some reviews) and an iMac. Should work out only a little dearer than the MBP.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
TBi said:
You can use the new macbook in clamshell mode which means you could use it as your desktop computer (with the VGA or DVI out). Plus have the portable computer if needed. The portability and extra speed would nearly make it worth the extra you pay.
That's a good point, but I still believe in having dedicated desktop and portable machines. No, it's not necessarily the most affordable option, but I'd rather have the Mac mini in a permanent desktop configuration than have a MacBook that I have to hook up for desktop use.

An iMac and a MacBook sounds like a great combination :)

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I liked the idea of having a dedicated MBP for both portable and desktop use but really i hate all the plugging and unplugging of stuff.

Having a desktop constantly there is a lot nicer than having to set it up. What's the point of having an instant on (from sleep) computer if you need time to connect it all up.

Also at least with a MacBook i won't be so paranoid about people using it. I always worry that they might drop it and it's a pricy piece of equipment to drop.

Still waiting for real reviews to come back but i'll at least be buying an iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.