Macbook ( macbook pro) configuration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Check 6, May 23, 2012.

1. Check 6 macrumors regular

I have a friend that wants to get an MBP or MB for basic video editing. What is the minimum configuration he should look at i.e. processor, memory, HD and video card. He is on a low budget but buying less than the minimum is false economy. Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

HD or SD? iMovie or something else?
    Anyway, any C2D Mac should suffice even with HD footage (if properly transcoded, which iMovie does during import from footage on a camcorder).

3. Check 6 thread starter macrumors regular

At this point he will use I movie

4. Check 6 thread starter macrumors regular

I was hoping for more comments so I could help my friend out. This will be his big switch to Macs

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

6. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Is he buying new or second hand? What does he use currently as a guideline?

7. simsaladimbamba

What more do you want? And since you didn't provide an answer to the "HD or SD" question, there can't be a really good answer, as I could use my 2004 iBook to edit SD footage from a DV camcorder and I could even use one of the first iMacs from 1999 to do the same.
    HD is a different beast, but with iMovie any C2D Mac (late 2006 and 2007 models and later) will do the job.

8. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

The low end 15" MBP will suffice. You need screen estate to edit, so a 13" will be out of the question.

Tell him to go to an Apple store and look at the 15" MBP, HiRes display and non high res. Remember non glossy version costs more too.

4GB is Ok, but he can buy 8GB+ himself and install it. Save a bunch of money.

Also get a 7200RPM drive if you're going to edit internally. Should be enough for HDV or H264.