MacBook / MacBook Pro Durability

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by samsamoa, May 18, 2010.

1. samsamoa macrumors newbie

Hi All -

I'm looking to buy either a MB or MBP soon. Now that the 13" models are pretty much identical, my only decision is whether to get aluminum or polycarbonate. Does anyone have experience on which one is more durable (to accidental drops, etc) and scratch/crack-resistant?

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Aluminum is still aluminum... The unibody MacBook is pretty tough too. I would get the MBP because it has more RAM, SD slot, FW800 and backlit KB

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Aluminum dents, plastic cracks. The best solution is not to drop it, as the internals are going to be damaged if you drop it no matter what material it's made of.

4. samsamoa thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks for the quick help! I don't use any firewire devices, or devices that use SD cards or the infrared port. Also, I plan on getting 4GB of RAM no matter which machine I get.

With the education prices, that comes to $1040 for MB versus $1100 for MBP, and $60 is no big deal. (The refurbished MB for $760 on the Apple Store is quite enticing though..)

I wish I were less clumsy so I wouldn't drop it - I will definitely try harder with this new computer.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Keep in mind that you'll soon get a free iPod Touch with you MacBook as Back To School promo will kick off within few weeks.

Refurb MacBook is ~860$ after RAM upgrade (aftermarket) and new 13" MBP is 1100$ minus ~150$ which you get off the iTouch if you sell it. So, is the brand new MBP worth the extra 100$ for you?

6. samsamoa thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't the refurbished computers generally come with the free iPod Touch as well? I'm planning on waiting at least until the end of the month for that promotion to start.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Refurbished Macs and Mac Mini are NOT eligible in Back To School promotion so no free iTouch with refurbs :(

8. samsamoa thread starter macrumors newbie

Darn, that's annoying. Any opinions on the rubberized bottom of the MacBook? I've seen that it gets dirty, but that's no big deal - will it actually hold up under day-to-day use? I feel like it would scrape off from taking it in and out of my backpack.

9. azazel- macrumors regular

azazel-

I suggest one of these. My wife has a pink one, and it looks brand new after being tossed around the house and in bags for the past 4-5 months.

You can get them cheaper than that elsewhere online, as well.

10. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J