MacBook/MacBook Pro newbie

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by regulament, Jul 2, 2011.

1. regulament macrumors newbie

Hello!

My HP dv6 laptop(3GB DDR2, 2.4 DualCore, 512MB video board, Windows 7- i dont know the specs exactly) just broke and now I have to buy a new one.
    I thought about buying a MacBook(2.4GHz, 4GB, 250GB, GeForce 320M) or a MacBook Pro(i5 2.3GHz, 4GB, 320GB, Intel HD3000).

The problem is that I use a lot of apps at the same time. Will they be able to handle Opera(with about 25 tabs open, only 1 with Flash for streaming music) + two 720p TV Shows episodes with subtitle + uTorrent + Yahoo! Messenger?

Would the MacBook have enough power to run all those apps or I must by the MacBook Pro? [both with the configuration above]

And will it remain cold or I should bear high temperatures? I would like to hold the notebook in my lap, not on a desk.

Also, I've read that a refresh is expected for the MacBook. Should I wait? And if I would buy the MacBook Pro, when would a new model appear? Is it also better to wait?

Thanks beforehand.

2. Barnzee macrumors regular

The Macbook Pro should suit your purpose just fine, it has a quad core sandy bridge CPU. Also consider bumping your RAM to 8 GB aftermarket because buying RAM through Apple is expensive.

Also would you really have 25 Tabs open in Opera? that seems a tad bit overkill:eek:

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Currently, the CPU's in the MB vs the 13" MBP are a generation apart with the MBP CPU's being at least 50% faster. The other perks with a MBP include backlit keyboard and firewire 800 and thunderbolt for much faster data transfer. Add to that the fact that the resale value of Sandy Bridge vs Core2Duo CPU's will let your new investment hold its value.

That said, if you have a Microcenter.com store in driving distance then go there to pick up a 13" MBP since their price is only $999, same as a new MB. The thing with the microcenter deal is that it is for pickup only - no shipping. they want you in the store. I bought a 2009 MB there where they had a deal ($799) then sold it for a 2010 13" MBP for only $999. (I then sold that for my current 2010 15" MBP). At any rate, if there is the microcenter.com store near you then since the price is the same as a MB the decision is a no brainer.

Note: the MB is overdue for a update. Possibly by August since Apple will not release any new Mac's until after their new operating system, Lion, becomes available later this month.