MacBook, MacBook Pro or iMac. Please help me decide.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by samshillito, Oct 21, 2009.

1. samshillito macrumors newbie

I'm 15 Years Old and i inspire my future career to be a freelance web/graphic designer, recently it has come to my attention that it was to make the switch from PC to Mac, after countless BSOD's i decided 2010 was the year to make the switch. My parents are divorced which is where the trouble comes along, do i go with a MacBook as a good switching computer, a MacBook Pro and take a little time to save up. Or the new 21.5 Inch iMac's and only use be able to use it from time to time. Thanks in advance.

2. windels macrumors regular

windels

I'd save up and get the first MBP with the core series processors. by than, they will probably have a new graphics card in them as well. although that would be because I always want the latest and greatest. I don't think you'll need the 15 inch with dedicated video card though.

but thats my opinion

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I would say to go with one of the notebooks in your situation, not the iMac. But as to which notebook it depends a little bit more on your situation, consider some of these questions:

What would you be using it for?
    Are there any features in the 13" MBP that you would like that the MB doesn't offer? (backlit keyboard, SD card slot, better screen, IR remote, etc.)
    Which would you prefer? (for me I prefer the looks of the MBPs over the MB and this would factor into my decision)

You have to weigh the pros and cons of each and decide for yourself, in the end you will be the one making the decision, we can help give you a little info here and there, but ultimately it will be you making the decision as to if you want to wait and pay more for a better system.

4. samshillito thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your opinion. I'm thinking it should be a good first Mac aswell and the portability should be put to good use, aswell as been able to have a setup at home with an external display etc. It's just the new iMac's look very appealing haha.

The reason i was considering the MacBook is that it would take less time to save up to. It seems a good computer to get used to the OS etc. But if i were to run program's like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator etc. the MacBook Pro would server better, just need to look at which one to aim for. The MacBook Pro also looks nicer in my opinion, just concerned about saving up because i'm sure i'd keep eating at the money. Thanks for your opinion.

5. windels macrumors regular

windels

I know! so hard to resist! :p but what's a designer that can't always do his job whenever he get's contracted? and I wouldn't buy a MB now as they still only have core2duo processors. the core series will be more future proof

6. samshillito thread starter macrumors newbie

That's true, everything about the MacBook Pro beats the MacBook in my opinion, the only reason i considered was the fact i haven't ahd much experience with OSX, just little here and there bits and bobs, also the price. Also the 13" screen looks a bit too small for me on the MacBook Pro, maybe going to aim for a higher 15".

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd get the refurb 15". If you go to university in a couple years, it will be time to replace, so don't worry about having the absolute latest and greatest.

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Bang for the buck (computing horsepower), go for one of the new iMacs.

You can always get a cheap laptop to use for portable situations later.

9. samshillito thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats true but if i use my sisters student discount on a brand new one will it still be cheaper to buy refurb? Thanks for your opinion

Ahh way to change my mind haha. Still going to see what other people think before making a final decision and forcing myself not to change my mind. Thanks for your opinion.

10. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

i'd get a mbp13" or maybe a refurb 15.... if your not bothered about portability though, imac specs looks amazing! [​IMG]

11. samshillito thread starter macrumors newbie

The only problem about the iMac is that it would stay put at either my mum's house or dad's house and therefore i would have to use my craptop elsewhere. May look around on eBay for cheap MacBook's or something. Still thinking, the iMac looks really appealing though. Thanks for your opinion.

12. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Personally I would avoid eBay, too much risk especially on something this expensive. Whenever I use eBay I basically always go with the principle of asking would I care if the entire thing turned out to be a scam and I got nothing, which usually leaves me only buying things less than $20. I know there are a lot of good sellers out there, but there are just enough bad ones that I don't trust it.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I am lost, do you need the portability. Most students your age do not, in that case the iMac is totally the way to go, for some reason I presumed that you needed the computer to be portable. You can pick up an older MacBook dirt cheap on Craigslist if you just need something to type papers on the road with.

14. samshillito thread starter macrumors newbie

I need portability because i would like to be able to freelance when at my mum's house and whena t my dad's house (parents are divorced) but if i went for the iMac. I'd have to stick with a windows laptop (what i'm using now) at one house or the other. Just need to sit down add up the pro's and con's and also take you guys' opinions.

15. samshillito thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i suppose that's true. Looks like a MacBook Pro at the minute, just the iMac's specs are superior to the MacBook Pro's for the price offering. Going to ask my mum if she will buy the MacBook Pro then if i could pay her monthly or something. I'm just itching to become a Mac User.

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Given that get a refurbed 15", it will likely be still cheaper then what your sister can get a new one for and then it's just a matter of finding a refurb that works for you.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Since the iMac would be hard to take with you from house to house, I would definitely recommend the 13" MBP. Just got my daughter one to go to college with. Great machine.

18. samshillito thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your opinion, looks like i'll be getting a MBP just need to figure which model.

19. Stephen Dowling macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

Hi! I'm 15 years old as well! I had the 13 inch Aluminum MacBook (not a Pro) and I loved it. However, I recently sold it to buy a newer Mac. I'm actually in the same situation as you right now because I can't decide on an iMac or MacBook Pro. I love the iMac, but I really like having the portability! Also, the 13 inch screen on the MB/MBP is GREAT for me. It's just the right size for being extremely portable, and it's great when connected to an external display at home! I think you will be happy with what ever choice you make. Believe me, you'll be happy with any Mac. (New, or a generation or two back :) )

20. samshillito thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks for your opinion made a huge difference on my choice, cos i'm thinking of a 13" MacBook Pro with a 24" External Display. Still waiting to hear what others think