Macbook/Macbook Pro. Wait for Macworld?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tejaykay, Oct 26, 2008.

  1. tejaykay macrumors 6502

    tejaykay

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2008
    Location:
    Edinburgh
    #1
    Hi, I've been a patient reader of Macrumors for a while and have finally decided to post as I need some advice.

    I currently use a PowerBook G4 15" (that I love) and have waited for the current laptop updates since earlier this year. I wasn't initially impressed with the new form until yesterday when I used both notebooks in an Apple Store. I was flat out stunned with the design and performance of both. I'm willing to live with the gloss and guess I might have to live without FW too.

    I simply can't decide between the models though. Whereas I love the size of my current PB, the new MBP does just feel slightly bigger (aside from the sleeker look). However, the Macbook is pretty nice too - especially with it's smaller design. I mainly use my computer for Aperture, iTunes, Mail, iMovie, Internet, most of the MS Office suite then with a whole host of other apps. I would also like to get into using PhotoShop as my current laptop has never been able to handle it. I also look forward to using VMWare to finally run EViews, SPSS and other statistics programmes.

    Whereas the small size of the Macbook appeals to me, I'm sure I'd miss the screen real estate of the 15" and much more importantly to me - the future proof of the machine. I understand the Macbook is a great notebook, especially in its new body, but the new MBP seems like it has so much more power to tap into over the coming year. I rarely travel with my laptop but like to know that I can. I want something that will comfortably last the next three years (at least) and hence money is not that big an issue. The loss of FW is a real shame in the MB as I really appreciate the speed of FW800 over USB2.0 but guess I'd have to get used to it.

    I think the choice would be between the 2.4 Macbook and 2.53 Macbook Pro.

    My main question is regarding the next speed bumps for the machines. Although I now think that the current laptops are beautiful, they don't seem to be much more powerful then their predecessors. When will the next boost be delivered? What is to be expected from announcements at Macworld in January? ....as I believe that is now the longest I could wait to replace my trusty PB. Also, do any current Macbook users noticeably recognise the difference between the quality of the monitors on the MB and MBP? Will the new Macbooks appreciate the introduction of Snow Leopard as much as the MBP? I trust that the Macrumors community has their ear to the ground and are slightly more informed than me.

    Many thanks for reading, I appreciate any advice on the matter.
     
  2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

    zer0tails

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    if you need it now, buy it now. If you can wait, then wait. Seriously, these just came out a few weeks ago. Give them some time before talking about the next update.

    However if you must know, speculation is that there might be speed bumps in June. But this is just speculation so take it with a grain of salt.

    If you really care about a big performance jump, then wait for Nehalem, which might show up in macbooks in say 9 months.

    Lastly, they are not much more powerful than their predecessors but they'll surely smoke your powerbook G4 lol so see, you will feel the performance difference after all :p
     
  3. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #3
    Only one man knows the answer and anything is possible. I have seen a Powerbook update in November get replaced in January Macworld.

    Looks the same other then the resolution

    Yes and No. On the MBP if you are using the 9400m then it is going to be the same as a macbook. If you use the 9600 during your time on the MBP then it will be faster then a macbook.
     
  4. ant-macyourself macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2008
    #4
    If you're in the market for a new one and ready to buy, I say go for it! The best time to buy is always right after a refresh since you'll be able to avoid buyers remorse longer than if you bought it 6 months from now.

    I would say there is very little to no chance that any kind of noteworthy updates would be done to the new notebooks at Macworld. From what I understand, there might be a very minor processor boost mid-summer and then a more significant architecture update from Intel in late Q3/Q4 2009. That's a long time to wait if you're wanting one now, though.
     
  5. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

    Lurchdubious

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2008
    Location:
    Texas
    #5
    The only reason to wait would be if you ABSOLUTELY don't need a new computer.
     
  6. himansk macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2006
    #6
    Really the next update will be a speed bump anyway. cant see apple release major changes twice in a row.
     
  7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #7
    This is not entirely true. Yeah, anything is possible, but keep in mind that Intel's latest (next gen) chips won't be on the market until after MacWorld. I would be very surprised if we saw anything MacBook/MacBook Pro related then. The Air may get a boost, but the others have a very slim chance of getting any changes so soon.

    To the OP: If you want a MacBook or MacBook Pro, buy now. I'm just gonna say right now that there is no chance they will see an update in January, which is barely more than 2 months away.
     
  8. Catonow macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Location:
    Cali
    #8
    Based on past observation, there is very little to no chance that there will be any updates to the MB or MBP in January. Most expect no updates at all until sometime next spring or summer (perhaps May or June), and then it would probably be just a small speed bump. It's virtually unprecedented to see any processor speed bumps fewer than six months after a major release. The next major new chip from Intel is Nehalem, and that probably won't wind up in a MB or MBP until a year or so from now.

    For whatever it's worth, I too had a Powerbook G4 15" that was getting rather long in the tooth, and had been watching MacRumors for more than a year waiting for the right moment to get a replacement. When this new MB came out, I finally pulled the trigger (got a 2.4 model w/ 4 GB RAM), and have no regrets. It's a huge step up. I expect it to last me about three years.
     
  9. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

    tejaykay

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2008
    Location:
    Edinburgh
    #9
    Thanks.

    Thanks guys. Some great advice. I think I'll have to bite the bullet too. Think I might be swaying towards the Macbook and putting in a 500GB HDD. The money I'd be saving from not getting a MBP would be spent wisely on accessories :).

    Thanks again for the responses.
     
  10. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

    Lurchdubious

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2008
    Location:
    Texas
    #10
    Good call. I think you'll be happy. I freakin' love this thing!
     
  11. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

    tejaykay

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2008
    Location:
    Edinburgh
    #11
    Never thought of it like that!
     

Share This Page