MacBook/MacBook Pro Web Development

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bielen, Oct 22, 2008.

1. bielen macrumors regular

I'm ready to purchase a MacBook/Pro and would some thoughts on which way to go.

I'm primary looking to use the MacBook for web development. I'll use Dreamweaver, Photoshop and some Flash. I'll also have a few VMWare configurations to run IIS (web server) under XP or Windows 2003 with ASP/ASP.NET and SQL Server. Generally I work with small files which max out at 6-8MB for Photoshop images. I might play the occasional game, but this is not the primary purpose of the laptop.

I currently have a Windows desktop that I use for web development and a 20" iMac that my wife and kids use for games email and the web.

I've narrowed my choice down to the 2.4GHz MacBook and MacBook Pro. I don't think the 2.5Ghz provides too much in additional value. Either laptop will be maxed to 4GB RAM. The 250GB hard drive is fine for now.

I will pair the laptop with the new 24" LED display. 80% of the time I would use it as a desktop, but want the flexibility to work in the kitchen, outside or while traveling.

Since it's mostly docked, should I concern myself about the screen when I am not docked to the display? Overall, I like the portability of the MacBook. As for video, I do a little, but have the iMac available if necessary.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. Hatchet macrumors regular

In my opinion, I'd pick up the Macbook Pro 2.5GHZ on clearance with 250GB hard drive and pair it with a 24" display.

Save about $700 off the new MBP's and you'll also get the matte screen so you're colors are represented better.

It will be plenty for what you want to do.

This is coming from a fellow web designer/developer. :) I have a 24" imac and am selling it to use my MBP solely as my machine + 24" display.

3. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I think the MacBook will be a fine choice. If you like the portability of it and you wish to travel with it, you won't be disappointed. If you do lots of video work, don't count on the MacBook, because of the lack of Firewire. There's probably going to be a Firewire to USB Adapter soon. For the work you wish to do, the MacBook can handle it.

4. bielen thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help. Aftering seeing the MacBook and MacBook Pro in person, I decided to go with the Pro because of the better clarity screen and internal Firewire support. Overall, I'm very pleased.

5. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

No, I very much much doubt there will be. USB and Firewire are completely incompatible protocols.

Don't mean to get at ya, but spreading misinformation isn't going to help anyone :)