macbook magnet latch

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iCheese, Jan 3, 2009.

1. iCheese macrumors regular

How strong are the magnets that are used to keep a macbook screen closed? Obviously it isn't too strong to mess up the internal hard drive, but what about external hard drives?

I am pretty sure that the magnets are located in the corners of the screen bezel, but I am not sure.

Are there any magnets in the base of the computer itself? Is it ok to have an external laying right next to the computer?

Sorry for all the questions, they just popped through my head. All answers appreciated!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The magnets are not that strong, they will not affect any drives.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

As long as the external hard drives are off then theres no problem whatsoever, they have magnetic shielding.

4. iCheese thread starter macrumors regular

How strong of a magnet would you need to erase data on a hard drive?

Do even small externals such as a WD Passport have magnetic shielding? Why would the hard drive have to be turned off for the shielding to work?

I am guessing the external I put together with an extra hard drive and an enclosure probably won't have magnetic shielding...

I have two external hard drives; a WD Passport, and a small external I put together. I use the Passport as my Time Machine backup drive, and the other as just a secondary backup drive. I am just wondering if magnets are a huge deal or not. Of course I never plan on sticking a magnet directly on a drive but I was just curious about close proximity and such.

thanks

5. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

My MBP

After reading the question, I decided to find out where the magnet(s) on my MBP are. My late 2007 MBP has only one magnet, located about halfway down the right edge of the screen frame. It's not very strong. I found it by running the handle of a teaspoon around the edges of the laptop. Only one and it sure isn't strong enought to damage anything.

Terry

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You would need a pretty strong one sitting on or right next to the drive.

Stick to your plan and you'll be fine.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

All hard drives have magnetic shielding built in, i have one in an external enclosure too.

8. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Anyone who's ever taken apart a hard drive to find the magnet inside, stuck it to something metal, then broken a nail, pulled a muscle, or damaged the metal object trying to pry the thing off can tell you, you've nothing to worry about.

9. eman macrumors 6502a

There are three magnets in the toplid. One in each top corner of the top lid and one magnet on the left side about half way down from the top (with lid up). No magnets in the lower case, except in the speakers.