Macbook Magsafe Doesnt Work?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bac0n, Aug 26, 2008.

1. bac0n macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've had my Black Macbook for roughly 5-6 months, Its been working flawlessly with nothing wrong at all.

Yesterday I followed all the steps in calibrating the macbook battery (I had done this on my Macbook previously), so today I turned it on using the Magsafe Macbook Charger, and it works, green light turns to red indicating the charging process.

I close the lid and let the macbook sleep while i dash out with a friend for coffee, while it is charging.

To my surprise, upon coming back home I open the lid of my Macbook and it says that the battery has only been charged to 55% (I had been out for at least 4hrs), looking at the charger, i noticed that the LED light had turned off, it was now dimm black. The big white charger was still warm.

I dont know what to do? I've tried both the extension lead and the normal wall charger unit, but nothing seems to work. The charger still sparks when I plug it into a normal live wire, but the LED doesnt turn on? What can I do? It no longer charges my Macbook

Should I go get it checked out? Is this stuff covered under warranty?

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Ummm, that's not normal. There's no reason for it to be sparking when simply plugging the charger into the AC outlet.

A call to Apple or a trip to a store is in your immediate future. If heading to the store, try booking a Genius appointment in advance to avoid making the trip for nothing. And yes, if you are still covered under the free year of warranty that came with your purchase of a new Mac.

3. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

My friend is also having that same problem clean the tip of ma
    g with a eraser and give it a try worked for a while with here, now back to not charging.

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

My suggestion remains the same.

Even without the sparking, the odd behaviour is not normal. It's not worth risking your computer for a malfunctioning power supply, and it needs to be addressed. It's well within the manufacturer's warranty. Take it to an Apple store and have the Genius examine it.