MacBook MagSafe -- eBay OK?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macandipodfan, Feb 8, 2010.

1. macandipodfan macrumors member

I need a new MagSafe power adapter for my MacBook, and I really don't want to spend $80 for a new one.
    I'm seeing some cheap ones (US sellers) on eBay. Are these decent? I like the prospect of only spending $15 for one, but I don't know how they compare to the "official" ones.

2. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

I would never cheap out on a power supply, especially the magsafe stuff.

try looking for a used official apple one.

3. macandipodfan thread starter macrumors member

I did that, and got one that was frayed near the plug. :(

4. chaseerry macrumors member

I've been using an eBay power adapter for my home use - one stays at work, the other stays at home.

I have had NO problems whatsoever with the eBay adapter. It has been a great investment, and a cheap one at that.

5. ZazenZach macrumors member

go the ebay route if you want. i did once and my adapter lasted maybe 2 weeks. maybe it was an isolated incident, but i tend to believe you get what you pay for.

6. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Getting something like that from eBay is a risk. Some people have had good luck, I'm sure. Others haven't, I'm also sure.

After the fraying problems (and the resulting fires) from a few years ago, I would stay clear of used power supplies. Batteries too, for that matter.

7. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

OWC (macsales.com) sells “refurbished” power adapters if you're looking for a less expensive one that's backed by a reputable company.

8. Cottonsworth macrumors regular

You get what you pay. My friend brought a battery from eBay and it didn't sit flush with his PB nor was it an exact color match. If funds are tight, I'd get an used one like others have mentioned or one from a more reliable third party like Macally or something.

9. gerlewis macrumors newbie

see my thread above.

Also, my ebay magsfae, the light stays on orange even when not connected to the mac....

10. Maks macrumors member

As with all Chinese knockoff products, you get what you pay for...and you aren't paying for quality. I picked up a NIB adapter for my Macbook Air on EBay, cheaper than retail and 100% legit. It took a week or so of looking, but I saved some coin over retail + tax.