Macbook Maintenance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trlyka, Feb 12, 2014.

1. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I would like to run maintenance on my Macbook. I've never done it before and I can tell it may be in need of a tune up. Do I need Mac Keeper for this? Or is there an internal program I should use? I come from a Windows machine, so I am not familiar with what is available or where to find it on a Mac.

Thanks

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Whatever you do, do not use Mackeeper, clean my Mac, or any of the so called fix it utility stuff...a simple search of these boards will tell you why.

OSX does a pretty good job of taking care of itself, running the built in scripts at a predefined time of day. The only utility that I use is Onyx but this must be used with care to....running things from there can also cause your Mac problems....I tend to run scripts only because my rMBP isn't on 24/7 my iMac is, and it takes good card of itself without much input from me at all.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OSX is great and self-tuning and running its maintenance scripts, I'd say no apps are needed and many of them typically cause more issues then they solve. Use the computer as you want to and don't worry about running utilities or scripts :)

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Don't use so-called cleaning utilities.

All you have to do is:
    1. Open Disk Utility and repair disk permissions.
    2. Open up Terminal and run this command: sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

5. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I went to Disk Utility and under the First Aid tab, I selected 'Repair Disk Permissions' and let it do it's thing. I went to Terminal and typed in the command and got asked to enter a password :confused: Not sure what I could have for a password there

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

What gives you that impression?

7. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

Usually not much in a way of maintenance to do. Mostly its simple cleaning keeping free of dust finger greeze that sort if thing.

It may be a good idea to do a clean install of the os about once a year though.Especially if someone that installs a lot of apps. I know osx isn't supposed to suffer from that but I've seen it help reduce the strange oddities and even speed up an older Mac even from multiple people. Plus it gives you and excuse to dump all those extra files that build up over time.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Just type your login password. Nothing will appear for security reasons.

9. kelon111 macrumors 6502

Get rid of your HDD and get an SSD instead.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE1T0BW/dp/B00E3W16OU

10. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

A lot of spinning color wheel appearances….Freezing applications….Safari quirks that I never noticed before. Just things that don't seem like thy re working as they should. I've had this laptop just over 2 years.

----------

What login password? I don't have one for this laptop that I know of.

----------

Samsung is one of my favorite brands. I don't doubt that is an awesome product, but I don't have that kind of money to spend for something I really don't need. But I appreciate the info.

11. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The password is your admin password - the same one that you enter when you install software, or install updates. When you type that password in the terminal, no characters will appear as you type, so just type the password as you know it, then press enter.

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

http://sdrv.ms/M7SvEx

You'll want an SSD after seeing this and know how much you need it. Watch both videos in the folder.

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

This!
    And reinstall your OS after backing up in time machine.
    I would not use any memory apps like everybody else is warning you, too.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Two apps that should be avoided completely are MacKeeper and CleanMyMac. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.
    These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.
    Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance. OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.