Macbook Makes Propeller Type Noise!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alias, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Alias macrumors member

Hi All,

Just purchased a late 2013 macbook and everything seemed okay. Today I started hearing a propeller type noise when I put the right side of the macbook against my ear (where the hdmi is). If I leave the lid open and tilt the keyboard towards me the sound gets louder.

Anyone else have this or heard of this? Is it normal or should I me exchanging my macbook?

Thanks!

2. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

That should be the fan. Is it getting louder when you use it normally?
    If it gets louder, it could be the fan dying. If not, then it should be normal and no worries.

Look at step 5 here

3. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Could be a piece of paper stuck in there. Happened to me and genius simply removed it and said it should be fine. He even offered to change the fan if I wanted.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you feel comfortable about opening up your Mac (and have the proper tools), then take the back cover off and see if there's any debris caught in the fan.

5. Alias thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. Did not seem like it was getting louder with use but only when I tilted it.

----------

I've had the laptop for less than one week, I'm still within the return policy at the store. That said, I'm not sure if they have anymore because they only had one left when I bought it and since it's the late 2013 model I wouldn't be surprised if they don't get anymore.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Worth a punt

Take it back they may give you this years one in exchange if you are lucky!!!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If its brand new, then by all means exchange it.

8. Alias thread starter macrumors member

Just checked and they have it in stock...so won't get this years model but will be able to get peace of mind.

9. Alias thread starter macrumors member

I was speaking to a co-worker this morning and she mentioned the same thing happens with her MacBook.

Basically I was in bed with my knees up and the laptop was resting on my thighs at a 45 degree angle. At this point you could hear the propeller type noise. Anyone else have this issue? I ask again as I think I explained it better in this post...

Thanks

10. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

Most likely your knees or something is pressing against the cover, then the fan, resulting in the noise?