Macbook making the "eject-a-cd" noise at random times

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sensen, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Sensen macrumors newbie

So essentially the title says it all. My Macbook has been making the "eject-a-cd" noise at random times since about yesterday. As of yet I have not attempted a restart. Is this normal? Something to worry about? Anyone else have this issue?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Are you opening any specific programs when this happens? Sometimes certain programs will check for discs, or if you click an import button in certain programs it will make this noise.

3. Sensen thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, it will happen at times when I'm not doing anything other than typing... For example, in the middle of typing this it conveniently decided to check for a CD even though I am currently only typing a reply. It's rather odd. And I have been paying close attention, and I have not been accidentally hitting the eject button while typing, as initially I assumed that somehow I had been holding it down without thinking. The eject symbol doesn't come up in the middle of the screen, so I think it's safe to assume that it isn't the keyboard misinterpreting my keystrokes.

4. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

My Hackintosh does the 'check for disc' noise every ten minutes or so. It does it with both drives, too, but not in sync. I have yet to figure out why, but I'm putting up with it until I get SATA drives.

I guess I'm just posting to let you know it's possible, but I don't know why it's happening.

5. model citizen macrumors member