Macbook MB061LL/B vs. MB061LL/A

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stokes, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Stokes macrumors regular

Anyone know the difference besides a $100 on Amazon?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I think "B" has Leopard preinstalled, while "A" has Tiger preinstalled. Not 100% sure though.

3. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Yes, the /B is the latest "Santa Rosa" revision of the MacBook.

So while the processor is the same speed (2.0Ghz) the B revision will have a slight performace edge over the A. The most notable difference however is improved graphics which make the MacBook go from a "no-buy" to an "acceptable" for light gaming. Intense gamers will still be disappointed either way.

Secondary, the maximum memory is 3.3GB on the /A and 4GB on the /B.
    There is still a $75 rebate on the /B since it's Amazon selling it. Furthermore the base MacBook shouldn't be more than what apple sells it for, namely $1099, or $1049 today on black friday.

Don't consider buying the base macbook, last revision, for $50 more than the new one is from Apple, or $125 more than the NEW ONE from Amazon directly (including the rebate, which is no-hassle).

Long story short. Get the /B for less money.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Oops...you're absolutely right. My bad. :eek:

I thought they were both the current model with Santa Rosa, with the only difference being Tiger or Leopard preinstalled. But yes, "A" is the previous model, while "B" is the current one. They both have 2 GHz processors, but the difference is in the rest of the platform.

5. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The entry-level model is 2.0 GHz. The upgraded model is 2.2 Ghz.

7. yawnmoth macrumors newbie

I found this thread while doing a Google search.

Anyway, after reading it, I'm still a little unclear - do the /B MacBook's come with Leopard?

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Since the most recent ("/B") models were released after Leopard came out, they should all have Leopard pre-installed on them.

9. tingly macrumors 6502

10. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The santa Rosa macbooks only work with leopard due to the Graphics chip.

11. balwx macrumors regular

My 'b' macbook also came with leopard preinstalled :)

12. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Yes, the version of Leopard that came with the SR macbook is unique to it (and won't work on a mate's iMac.) You also won't be able to go backwards and install Tiger on them, even if you have the full Tiger retail disc.

13. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Yeah so defiantly get the the /b Version it's the newer better up to date one and it's worth the extra price.

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They do, the /B models (X/B here) can only run Leopard, Tiger is incompatible with the new SR MacBooks.

15. heatmiser macrumors 68020

This is *amazing*. I am *so* glad I picked up a non-SR Macbook. Honestly, this is no different from PC laptop manufacturers forcing Vista upon consumers by ceasing production of XP drivers. I really can't believe this. Needless to say, I'm happily typing from Tiger on my MB right now.

16. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

With the slight difference that Apple makes the hardware as well as the software; This is opposed to MS using it's might to bully manufacturers into stop providing XP. IIRC, there is no such thing as a Intel version of Tiger other than the ones bundled to new computers. In other words, a retail SKU for Tiger on Intel never existed.

17. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

You've picked me up wrong there. The SR MacBook is newer than Leopard (by a few weeks) so the version of Leopard bundled with the MacBook contain the drivers required by that computer. These drivers aren't on previous versions of MacOS X hence a new computer can't go back to Tiger. This is nothing sinister to make people run the latest software, it's just the latest software is optimised and is required to run the computer.