Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Hi all,

I don't have a mac yet but have been thinking of switching from windows for a while and so my friend has kindly lent me her new macbook for 2 weeks so I can try it out. I must say, as a newcomer to the mac OX my initial reaction is that once the "oh no where's the start button" and "how do I use a one button mouse" has passed the system is very impressive. In a nutshell, it justs works, which is more than can be said for windows half the time. Anyway I have been putting it through it paces and I have noticed that it does run a bit slow if you do to much. I had it simultaneously burning a DVD, downloading files from the net, watching an avi, using a browser and importing pics from my camera in iPhoto. Perhaps unsurprisingly it found the going tough and couldn't really handle it too well. (Although it still did everything I asked, just slowly. Windows would have probably just froze period). Anyway, my question is how would a 17 inch MBP with lots of RAM compare in such a task. Could it handle it without slowing up significantly as this 512KB RAM Macbook did? Are you getting a system that rarely freezes/slows if you get a high-end MBP?

Thanks and sorry that was sooo long.

kilo delta uniform mike 8 :)

hope

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2006
How much RAM and what processor did the Macbook have? RAM makes a huge difference. Bigger in macs than in PC's as the OS is more dependant and you'll see a bigger difference in speed with the additional ram. Probably the biggest difference in the Macbook and MBP is the MBP has a dedicated graphics card which would've handled some of the load of the .avi you were watching and freed up the processor a bit. So, to answer your question. If the MB you had, had more RAM, it would've felt faster. Also, when it comes to videos, the graphics card of the MBP is definently better. As far as the processor, thats what makes the MB such a great buy as your getting a blazing fast machine as such a low price. Except for the .avi you were watching, with equal amounts of RAM, a MBP would not be faster. Oh, you get more screen real estate from a MBP but thats not performance orientated so...

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
You need at least 1 gig of RAM to run OS X comfortably. The MB and MBP are almost the same performance wise except when it comes to GPU intensive tasks like gaming. The MB and MBPs have dual core processing, so multi tasking should be a breeze as soon as you put in more RAM.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
tipdrill407 said:
You need at least 1 gig of RAM to run OS X comfortably. The MB and MBP are almost the same performance wise except when it comes to GPU intensive tasks like gaming. The MB and MBPs have dual core processing, so multi tasking should be a breeze as soon as you put in more RAM.

The Macbook that I am using has only 512KB of ram so that probably explain it. I didn't realise that RAM had more effect when compared to PCs. So when I buy a mbp I will definitely add some more RAM. Would there be a noticeable difference between 1GB and 2GB of RAM, or would 2GB be overkill?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
If you open up a lot of RAM-hungry applications (like anything in the iLife suite) then 1 GB will be noticeably slower than 2 GB.

If you buy more RAM, don't get it from Apple because it is too expensive. Search the forums here or look at the RAM buying guide for advice on where to get it and how much to pay.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
kdum8 said:
Anyway, my question is how would a 17 inch MBP with lots of RAM compare in such a task. Could it handle it without slowing up significantly as this 512KB RAM Macbook did? Are you getting a system that rarely freezes/slows if you get a high-end MBP

Even though the MBP would handle tasks better than the MB, aside from gaming you won't need to spend the extra $1500+ for a new laptop. All it'll take is $100-$200 in a RAM upgrade, and you will be fine. The only reason to put down the money for the MBP is for graphics-intensive uses, such as gaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.