Macbook media server to PS3 using the itunes DJ playlist via iphone remote app

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by claytsuk, Apr 13, 2010.

1. claytsuk macrumors newbie

OK here goes.

I have connected my macbook and ps3 fine using media link, i can view pictures movies and listen to music fine through my ps3. All the itunes playlists sync fine except for one which I can control via the iphone remote app.

The itunes DJ playlist in itunes and on the iphone match perfectly but the same playlist on the ps3 shows completely different tracks. I cannot choose songs from the iphone which subsequently should then appear in the playlist on the ps3. It appears in the itunes playlist fine, so for some reason these lists must not be the same?!?!

Any help appreciated ...

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I don't have a PS3, but I'm going to take a stab and say that the iTunes DJ playlist isn't appearing because it isn't a playlist. Anyway, you can certainly control more than iTunes DJ with your iPhone. Just browse for an artist/album/genre/whatever and hit play or shuffle.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

It must be the way MediaLink creates the playlist and sends it to the PS3. Chances are it doesn't update that often (or at all, you can test it out by changing other playlists).

Actually, now that I think about it, I think the PS3 stores some of the file/songs in cache for quicker access, so it may not update by itself. I know for certain it won't update if you don't leave that playlist. What I mean is: if you have a big list of songs and it takes a while for the whole list to load, immediately select a song to play without waiting for complete list to finish loading. From my past experience only those songs that loaded will be in the PS3 'player' list.

4. claytsuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting, let me do some testing with the other playlists and I will see what i find... The dj playlist does show up but its completely different to the one in itunes...

I thought the other smart playlists i set up change but not sure about a cache or delay in updating will see..

Thanks for the replies.....

So if not the ps3 whats the best way to connect a macbook to the hdtv so I can do this via itunes?

:eek:)