MacBook memory upgrade 2GB v 4GB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hello.there, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Intended upgrading my MacBook to 2GB which I can get from Crucial Europe for E46 ($68).

But they sell 4GB for E136 ($201).

What do you think? Is it really worth going the extra for the 4GB?

PS I know I could get cheaper memory from US sites but the delivery charge (to Ireland) might balance out the price difference - will double check.

2. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Whooooah: just found 4GB on OWC for $121 (E82) including delivery!

It's 4.0GB (2GB+2GB Kit) PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz SO-DIMM 200 Pin Memory Upgrade Kit - does that sound okay (I know nothing about these things :eek:).

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That's a pretty good rate considering the international shipping, and OWC is a great company to work with. They make quality RAM, and they'll stand behind it if you have a problem with it. Sounds like you should grab it.

4. Spongey817 macrumors regular

I'm not too sure about international prices, but I just purchased 4 gb of ram for about 85 dollars, shipping included

Judging by the first price you found...seems like you've got yourself a deal on the second one..

I'd go for it...four gigs will definitely give you an improved computer

Good luck,

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Hello.there, again. There no reason not to go with 4 GB when it's so cheap right now.

I haven't gone below 2.16 GB in used RAM, yet. :rolleyes:

6. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Thanks WildCowboy and Spongey, just went for that deal, the best I've seen.

And thanks Eidorian, again. ;)

7. mpemburn macrumors member

I'm desperately needing more RAM for stuff I do routinely on my MacBook (currently at 2GB and it often gets to about 80% "wired" memory). Can anyone tell me for certain whether I can upgrade to 3GB or 4GB on my MB? I bought it in June of '07 and it was one of the newly released 2.16 GHz (13.3"?) units. I thought that 2 GB was the max it could use. Hope that's not true.

Thanx,

Mark

8. letswastetime macrumors regular

You can upgrade to up to 4GB of RAM. Though since your macbook is pre-Santa Rosa, it is only capable of using 3.3 GB. Still 3 or 4 GB it will definitely help, especially in the long run.

9. mpemburn macrumors member

10. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

I would suggest trying Newegg, I know they have some pretty good deals. I don't know about international shipping, but I know that's where I'm going to by my upgrades. Just make sure it's the right kind of RAM!

11. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I would buy 4GB over 2GB if you are doing anything that is CPU/GPU/RAM demanding. If you just browse the web and listen to music, 2GB will be a nice bump. OWC/anything from Newegg is good.

12. Dragonskin macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting this guys, I need to upgrade my memory since I run many applications at one time., but why does some web sites say it is only allowed 2 Gig? Now I just need to upgrade the HD to something bigger.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Depends on which model you have. The latest MacBooks can use up to 4 GB, but older ones can not. Many of them are officially specced for 2 GB by Apple, but can in fact use 3 GB.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

mpemburn, dragonskin, welcome to MR

You will find answers to these and most commonly asked questions under the Guides tab near the top of this window.

MR Guide to Understanding Intel Mac RAM

Generally, you will want to check the Guides and do a Search on the site for answers, before posting a new question.

15. mpemburn macrumors member

Thanks CanadaRAM.

I actually did read the Guide but it wasn't clear to me that the MacBook I own was a "Earlier Core 2 Duo" -- since it's, well, not all that old! It would help if you could include something like "Identifying which Mac you own" so that the uninitiated could correlate "Earlier Core 2 Duo" with something like "MacBooks manufactured after May X, 2007 use the Earlier Core 2 Duo processor", and know that "MacBooks manufactured after November X, 2007 use the Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa processor)". It gets awfully confusing when the new releases come as thick and fast as they are have lately. Too much for the average user who hasn't made a study of the subject.

Regards,

Mark