Macbook Memory Upgrade questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mecarter35, Apr 8, 2009.

1. mecarter35 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I just purchased and installed two 1GB memory modules into my Macbook (13 inch, white, mid-2007 2ghz, Mac OS X 10.4.11).

I know I've installed them correctly because I checked in the "About this Mac" section.
    And now I have what might be a pretty stupid question: what exactly is this memory upgrade supposed to DO? I was running low on space in my Macintosh HD, so I purchased these memory modules. I have a lot of iPhoto and iTunes related files and just wanted some more space for them. But I've only seen a small increase in the area where it says "xxx GB available" at the bottom when you open the Macintosh HD window.

This upgrade should have literally doubled my computer's memory capacity, so why doesn't this reflect that? Am I just a complete idiot and bought this for nothing? Because so far it hasn't seemed to make that much of a difference that I can see, but maybe I'm wrong. I just installed it about half an hour ago and I don't know that much about computers.

Thanks very much for any help you can offer!

2. bdj33ranch macrumors regular

I think you're confusing RAM memory with hard drive space. The memory modules you installed will have no impact on the amount of hard drive storage space on your MacBook. There is certainly nothing wrong with increasing your RAM memory to 2 GB with the memory modules. But that has nothing to do with HD storage space. Sorry this didn't do what you were trying to do. However, I would leave the new memory modules in - they are a good upgrade and will improve computer performance.

You have a couple of options regarding HD storage space increases. You could just connect a portable USB or Firewire drive and use it for additional space for your files. That is very simple. Just plug it in. I would also reformat it to an Apple file system if it is in a Windows NTFS or DOS format.

Or, you could change out the internal hardrive to a larger size. Although a little more complicated it's really not too hard in a MacBook. Instructions are in your owners manual. The procedure is much simplified if you buy an external enclosure to put your current HD in. Then you can clone all the data easily back to your new HD after the new HD has been formatted to Apples system (HFS+). You can then use your old HD in the external enclosure for extra storage or data back up.

3. Sparky19 macrumors newbie

RAM wont increase your hard drive space, it will improve the performance and it will allow multiple programs to run easier than what they would have with the old RAM sticks

if you want to increase the Hard drive space you could buy and external or change the internal to a larger drive

4. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

I can tell lol , no worries though. You're running low on HARD DRIVE (HDD) space, what you bought and installed is RAM (Random Access Memory) which is a volatile storage type (data is lost once it loses power ie. turn your computer off) where the computer temporarily stores data so that it can be accessed much quicker.

Since you're running low on HDD space (your Macintosh HD) you need to upgrade that. Because you upgraded your RAM, your computer will be able to multitask better and access temporary data quicker for example, opening applications and what not.

5. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

If you're not that familiar with computers, this is an easy way to think of RAM or Memory and Hard Drive (HDD) space.

Remember those old desks you sat at in early grade school, with the storage area underneath? Think of your Hard Drive as that storage space. It's where you keep all the crap you're not using.

Now, the top of the desk... it was kind of small. Think of that as your memory. It's your "workspace", if you will. The larger the desk, the more books (programs) you can have open, and the more you can do at once. :)

What you need is more hard drive space, or storage.